dropped KDP question?

TRUBBS

Can You Keep Up?
i got a few questions for you firstgen guys. first is their even a ksp on the first gens like the 2nd gens? reason i ask is i got a line on a firstgen motor that my buddy bought for the body off of it, they guy it was bought from said the motor ran great up tell the point where it (the dowl pin) dropped and cracked the case?

question number 2- worst case, what all would i need to replace to get the motor back to "runnin" (i plan on doing a p-pump swap before i put it in my ford)

and last question (for now anyways)- what all is needed to be swapped over to run the p-pump. i know the obvious (pump,lines and front cover) is that it? what about the actual injectors? again thanks! :thankyou2:

1st gens do have kdp. you do have to get different injectors where the injector line goes on top of the injector there different sizes 2nd gen is 14mm 1st gen is 12 mm iirc. or you can swap nozzles into 2nd gen bodies thts what i am doin.

1st gens do have kdp. you do have to get different injectors where the injector line goes on top of the injector there different sizes 2nd gen is 14mm 1st gen is 12 mm iirc. or you can swap nozzles into 2nd gen bodies thts what i am doin.

whats the diffrence between the two injectors? i would only run stock injectors for a little bit then upgrade to some 5/7x18's or bigger. just trying to get my ducks in a row and get as much as the "homework" done as i can ahead of time. thank you for your reply

You going to run a 5x0.018 or a 7x0.018. BIG DIFFERENCE THERE

yeah i know their is a big diffrence, to be 100% honest ide be fine with either i plan on just browsing around waiting to find someone selling theirs. i want the 7's but would have no problem in settling for the 5's.

and last question (for now anyways)- what all is needed to be swapped over to run the p-pump. i know the obvious (pump,lines and front cover) is that it? what about the actual injectors? again thanks! :thankyou2:
You gonna need the front gear case housing also..... and you never mentioned what year the engine is from- was it an intercooled or non intercooled- I believe the injectors will differ because of this.

If u can hear it run swap the front case and u shuld be good. The pin can drop and get ran through the gear train, which will probably break the cam

You gonna need the front gear case housing also..... and you never mentioned what year the engine is from- was it an intercooled or non intercooled- I believe the injectors will differ because of this.

if i rember right it is out of a '93. i dont rember 100% tho but i do know that it is in fact a intercooled motor.

your good on the injectors since it is intercooled. i have 6x.018 in my truck there kinda dirty an haze all the time but make pretty good power

i cant hear it run, my buddy never tried to start/run it after he got it but it did crack the gear housing. and the motor has already been pulled, it was sold to another but he backed out on buying it.
whats the best way to see if the cam has been broke? can it be done without pulling it out or is that a must to pull it and inspect it?

so if it is a intercooled firstgen it has the same injectors as a p-pumed motor?

whats the best way to see if the cam has been broke? can it be done without pulling it out or is that a must to pull it and inspect it?

Pull the #1 and #6 Valve Cover, rotate the crank shaft and see if the rockers on both cylinders move. If they do, more than likely the cam is in 1 piece.

so if it is a intercooled firstgen it has the same injectors as a p-pumed motor?
1st gen I/C and 2nd Gen injectors use the same 7mm tip. The tips are interchangalbe. The bodies are different.

Answers are in red

Answers are in red

thank you for the answers!

question that hasnt really be answered yet tho what all will i need to round up to put a p pump on? so far i know ill need the front timing housing/cover, p-pump/pump gear/fuel lines/injectors. what other odds/ends am i going to need to do it? it seams easy straight forwards but usually nothing is just as easy as it seams thanks!

Last edited:
ok so i got the motor finally. its a little worse then i thought. it complelty took a chunk of the case with it when it let loose. as well as i can move the pump gear back and forth (fan to bellhousing) and can only get the motor to bar over just barley then stops. pulled the valve covers off and took the rockers/p-rods out and 6 are bent (1 per cylinder, 2nd rod in) havent gotten any further on it as i need to get the fan off so i can get the front cover off. does this sound like i got my self into a big mess?

arent the tips diff size one is 8mm and one 9 between the ve and p heads

The cam is blown in half. Valves are bent, pistons may be junk.

i got to get the head off and take a look at the pistion, hopefully their ok. i figured the valve's would be be bent. guess now is the time for portpolish and orings :doh:

The cam is blown in half. Valves are bent, pistons may be junk.

got the head off and the pistons all look fine, cylinders so far look fine. havent be able to bar it over yet. got to get the fan off so i can get the front cover off. head looks good on the underside need to pull the valves out tho and check