Dry sump

Big Tex Racing

Who make a dry sump setup that can be used on a 7.3? Doubleovertime is running one, but I looked in JEG's and didn't find one??

Thanks,

call woodruff diesel.i know they set one up on the ohio cat truck.good people to deal with.

I'm in the process of setting up a dry sump on my motor, but am still in the infant stages. I plan on having the dry sump up and running by about March....

Who make a dry sump setup that can be used on a 7.3? Doubleovertime is running one, but I looked in JEG's and didn't find one??

Thanks,

that all was custom built by Tommy at TFS Racing Engines in Indiana.....

call woodruff diesel.i know they set one up on the ohio cat truck.good people to deal with.

Josh is a great guy....ill be buying a new 2.6 turbo and a few other things from him here in the near future....one of the best diesel builders out there and his crew is top notch too....im glad to be able to call those guys friends......

dry sump pan...

Here are two different pan styles I did here for two dry sump duramax's...turned out real nice. If you need some help with one...let me know...

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Dry sump pan.jpg
    Dry sump pan.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 85
you can get a factory dry sump pan for a 6.6 liter Isuzu diesel........bet it will fit a Duramax......what ya'll think.......Eric Merchant has one if i remember correctly......

doesnt dry sump keep oil on the heads or something damn i wish i knew where that article was lol

doesnt dry sump keep oil on the heads or something damn i wish i knew where that article was lol

it uses a staged belt driven oil pump so you can run a very, very shallow oil pan and you can also pressure oil your engine instead of letting it just "flow" with a normal engine driven pump......you can also use a large oil tank reserve.....

So what are the advantages with a 15 second sled pull ? I can see an advantage with the lower pan profile maybe for racing, but I am trying to figure out how it would help in the sled pulling arena? somebody edamacate me :)

BBD

the advantage is total oil controll. there is no oil in the sump. the oil is pumped in and pumped out of the engine the oil that is pumped to the top of the engine with a wet sump drains back to the oil pan and in the porcess it gets sucked up by the crank and the rest of the rotating assembly. wich is forced to now rotate all of the oils extra weight. with a dry sump the oil is pumped to the top of the motor and sucked back out of the valve covers so it does not drain back to the pan and get all over the rotating assembly.

and sucked back out of the valve covers so it does not drain back to the pan and get all over the rotating assembly.

I haven't seen any systems like that. They suck the oil out of the pan (thanks to pressure and gravity).

Some advantages:

Less aeration of the oil and less chance of cavitation.
In high rpm applications there is alot of windage that causes the oil to splash up upon the crank due to the reservoir of oil below it. The dry sump has less oil below the crank and the belt driven pump helps pull the oil down away from the crank keeping windage and oil on the crank to a minimum (which has been dyno proven to free up a noticeable amount of HP/TQ).
It allows for more precise oilling through the block and can be designed to help feed areas of poor lubrication from the factory.
Oil capacity can easily be increased which helped in keeping Engine Oil temps in check and prevent/prolong breakdown.
Not so much in truck pulling, but a dry sump helps prevent oil slosh under hard braking, accelerating, and cornering.

Disadvantages:

Complexity, cost, and room for plumbing.

I haven't seen any systems like that. They suck the oil out of the pan (thanks to pressure and gravity).

Some advantages:

Less aeration of the oil and less chance of cavitation.
In high rpm applications there is alot of windage that causes the oil to splash up upon the crank due to the reservoir of oil below it. The dry sump has less oil below the crank and the belt driven pump helps pull the oil down away from the crank keeping windage and oil on the crank to a minimum (which has been dyno proven to free up a noticeable amount of HP/TQ).
It allows for more precise oilling through the block and can be designed to help feed areas of poor lubrication from the factory.
Oil capacity can easily be increased which helped in keeping Engine Oil temps in check and prevent/prolong breakdown.
Not so much in truck pulling, but a dry sump helps prevent oil slosh under hard braking, accelerating, and cornering.

Disadvantages:

Complexity, cost, and room for plumbing.

Agreed

I see no advantage in a diesel if you are pulling it, I was talked out of putting it on my truck and was told it was awaste of money for no noticable increase in HP so we didnt do it, unless you are running a 650 alky and turning it 9k+, even with that said there are still alot of builders making alot of HP with out dry sump a standard system is $3500 -$5000 if there was a huge advantage every one would have it, just my$.02

The only advantage I can see is to be able to run a sealed crankcase and create a vaccuum on the crankcase to cut down on the pumping losses of the pistons trying to compress crankcase gasses.

The only advantage I can see is to be able to run a sealed crankcase and create a vaccuum on the crankcase to cut down on the pumping losses of the pistons trying to compress crankcase gasses.

This and since a dry sump is a staged or stacked unit it can perform other task than oil distribution only

:pop::pop::pop:

A dry sump makes perfect sense for a HEUI powered PSD in a sled pulling application :D Oil control and motion are incredibly important. Right now I have problems with aeration, heat, flowrate, etc.... all easily remedied with a dry sump. There is no factory replacement LPOP that can feed a HPOP that will meet the demands of a HEUI injector that is set up to fuel an engine at high RPMs.

Yes I know I am nuts, but I am building my system from as many in house fabricated parts and used parts as I come accross that meet my specifications for the task at hand.

Back