DTT Transmission Question

DTT24valve

Ok, here goes nothing...I'm new to this site but i don't know where else to turn for my problem.. Some time ago I have had a DTT transmission built for my truck... When I had it built, my truck was stock and didn't have much intention to do anything with it...... I had a new Torque Coverter installed and the transmission had about everything done to it I can possibly get except for a billet intermediate shaft.. drove it for 1000 miles took the truck in for its service, ok now time to play......:evil...... I installed an 150gph HPFP, edge comp, a hot rod vp, 150 horse injectors, a 3 piece manifold, and a 64mm S-300 based piers turbo... I never launched the truck or even realy put it too the floor, ever before? I then proceeded to take my truck to the dyno and it does............ 380 rwhp and 802 rwtq!!!!!!!!!!!:bang:kick::charger::what::doh::poke::umno::badidea::bang:bang................................. So at this point, I'm like, "WHAT THE F*CK!!!!!!!"...... I should be somewhere around 500, at least 450...... So on the way home I get on the highway, flip the 'ole lock up switch and floor it to see how it pulls, and......... THE ENGINE BLASTS FROM 1800-2800 AND NO SPEED INCREASE WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! My multi thousand dollar trans is slipping?????....

PLEASE ANY INPUT WILL BE VERY HELPFUL AS I TRY TO DETERMINE WHAT MY PROBLEM IS....................

I don't really know what to tell you there, besides take it back to who built it, and be mad.:confused:

Might have a shot converter, What percent converter did you get? Stephan might be to busy pushing bling valve covers and air horns to worry about tranny warrantys.

Well I believe it's a single disk converter, but it's supposed to hold like 1200lb.ft.... I did recently take it back because I ended up dusting first gear... When it was disassembled they found a twisted intermediate shaft. A new shaft was installed, heavy duty red clutches in first gear were installed, and a new converter was installed..... Now there is 1000 miles on this trans, and still slipping!

That shouldn't have a damn thing to do with it, unless there is some chance the Voltage Regulator is causing a low pressure situation? Smoking first gear clutches and a torque converter seem strange IMO..

I don't know anything about it. I didn't build the trans and I don't want to bring his name in here.... Everytime I bring the truck to him or he drives it he says it's fine, but I know its not, it can't be....

Get the builder in the truck, YOU drive, demonstrate the problem to him and ask what the best route is gonna be and his diagnosis. If you don't like what you are being told call DTT and find the next closest dealer and tell them of the problems you are having with the current one. DTT has come a long way in the customer service dept the past few years and I feel sure they will do their best to help you. Dn't expect much more than advice from them though, if they didn't build the tranny there is only so much they will likely do.

He just claims the trans is fine, and his mechanics say the torque converter is supposed to slip under certain conditions.. They have changed my ECM also thinking that was the reason, and the TPS, and reflashed the pcm... Turning into huge money pit.... I need to climb out!!!!!

Like stated before, call bill or stephen and ask for their advise. Ive never had a problem out of their customer service. Its always been good and straight forward.

I had mine rebuilt just before TS last year and ended up welding the forward clutch pack shrotly after (duelly noted in my slow times). I called the builder and he said to bring it down. A day later i was on my way back and havent had a problem yet. Their A-1 in my book.

Im sorry but with only 5 post counts and not atleast hearing it on CF im a little skeptical of the whole story. Its just been that a good majority of the past posts that come on a board and start airing out their problems about certain vendors never end up good.

PLEASE call the company and not the vendor. This may be an easy fix, or a long drawn out pissin match:doh: (which i hope not for both parties)

Last edited:
The reason for my low post count is the fact that I am already a member, but I do not want to start any controversy or problems. I just want a different point of view. No names, vendors, builders, mechanics, shops, or locations will be disclosed........

I will call DTT when I get a chance, but for now........ bump...

He just claims the trans is fine, and his mechanics say the torque converter is supposed to slip under certain conditions.. They have changed my ECM also thinking that was the reason, and the TPS, and reflashed the pcm... Turning into huge money pit.... I need to climb out!!!!!
Not supposed to slip in lock up :doh:

Get the trans up to temperature and have them force lock up. The truck should be sitting still (0mph) and in gear (D range) Then engine should stall if the lock up clutch is functioning properly in the TC. If they have the ability to reflash the pcm and replace the ecm, then their scanner should be able to force lock up. This is only one of the tests that need to be done. Like JKretzer said, about an hour performing a few pressure tests will determine the condition of the pump, clutches, etc, and any internal leakage the trans may have. Just sticking a new converter in it (if that's the trouble) won't let you know why it failed unless you pressure test the unit 1st. Did they use new electronics when they built this trans?

Dave