Dual Disk Problem

Walter Sobchak

Just installed a new dual disk clutch in my 12 valve. I removed the washer from behind the pivot ball and installed updated hydraulics. When I go to start the truck in gear with the clutch pedal to the floor it lurches forward and there is a grinding noise in the clutch. I've tried removing the spacer from behind the slave cylinder but no luck. Any Ideas?

did u replace the fork in there with a ground one if not then its hitting u will have to take it out and grind ur shifting fork down in the bell hosing.

No I didn't anyone got a picture of a modified one? You would think they would of said something in the instructions or on the phone when I ordered the clutch. Oh well

Make sure you got the disk in the correct way. I mixed them when i put my first dd in and did same thing

I took the release fork out and ground it down about a 1/2 " input shaft. Go to start the truck in gear same problem. I noticed the slave cylinder is possibly broken the plastic part that holds it to the mounting bracket moves around when i press the clutch in and alot of side to side movemant. Could that be the problem?

Yep that sounds like your problem. With it moving like that, it sounds like it doesn't have enough throw to totally disengage the clutch. If its the stock slave cylinder, you're gonna want the upgraded one anyways. Unless you have one of those years of the 12v that doesn't really need the upgraded one.

Drop the coin for the upgraded one.

Yes, they are a little more.. But I would have paid six times what they cost when mine screwed me in the middle of rush out traffic in downtown Seattle. That is not much fun when you are towing without being able to release the clutch. Kind of lame, really.

Took everything apart and the shift fork was hitting the pressure plate on the slave cylinder side I'm gonna try putting the washer back under the pivot ball and order new hydraulics.

I put the 3850 DD in my truck a year ago. I had purchased the clutch about 8 months before installation. Since the purchase, South Bend started including a modified clutch fork. I found out the hard way and had to pull tranny and get the modified clutch fork sent to me. Works great, but still may upgrade my hydraulics.

Don't think there is a need to upgrade hydraulics on your 12 valve. I didn't on my 97 anyways. Even South Bend said there was no need to.