Dual VP's

GalpinSpeedShop

I wanna go fast
I've been kicking around the dual VP idea. I've searched before but nothing really has come up. Some of you may seem its like *bdh* but I'm the type of person that likes to play with "out dated" and old iron. We all know the habits and down falls of VP's BUT I've proven quite a few times for them to be reliable. So for the idea, I can see it being done since the pump communicates on the J1939 data link to the ECM. Using both of the same, say S.O. pumps, the data communication would be received and transmitted by each pump identical if not really close. While still using 1 TPS, ECM, sensors, etc. All That I think would be required is splicing in a second pump connector to the engine harness. There's also a couple ways to drive the second pump. What I'm fathoming is modifying the case cover to accept a small mechanics seal where the original pump nut is, along with a shank adapter that's used to hold the pump gear on that passes through the seal, with a taper and threads on the outside. The old VW TDI's that use VE pumps have the same size and taper on their gate (rib) belt pulleys. Two of those, belt, and tensioner take care of driving the second pump at a 1:1 ratio with the primary VP. As far as injector lines, Rocken Tech has straight lines to bend how ever needed an high pressure T's. I haven't come up with an idea on that. Other than the 1 off items, I have a shed full of everything else so I'd like to experiment.

The subject is open to discussion of course and I'll be waiting for the "waste of time/money" guys lol :Cheer:

We looked into it probably 8 years ago now and decided it wasn't worth the headache too many variables to sort out. We also toyed with the idea of pulling the pump out of the case and overdriving it of of the serpentine system, again too many negative variables that dont outweigh the positives.

We looked into it probably 8 years ago now and decided it wasn't worth the headache too many variables to sort out. We also toyed with the idea of pulling the pump out of the case and overdriving it of of the serpentine system, again too many negative variables that dont outweigh the positives.

I'm not sure how you could O/D a pop style system without causing hell with injection timing. a CP3 could be overdriven to create high rail pressure given a tune to control the FCA but I'm not sure how it would work on a pop system like the VP, VE, P7100. Interesting idea, care to elaborate a little more?

I'm not sure how you could O/D a pop style system without causing hell with injection timing. a CP3 could be overdriven to create high rail pressure given a tune to control the FCA but I'm not sure how it would work on a pop system like the VP, VE, P7100. Interesting idea, care to elaborate a little more?

You can't change the rpm of the pump to crank shaft. The timing will change with crankshaft rpm and wouldn't even run/start. This made me laugh out loud lol

Even if you did run it belt drive with the correct pulley sizes, it would have to be a cogged super charger belt so timing didn't change.

Might be worth your time to get a hold of monster pump mike.

Having two VP's would be like buying two AMC Pacers. Both are classics but having two of them doesn't make the feeling any more special.

:hehe:

Having two VP's would be like buying two AMC Pacers. Both are classics but having two of them doesn't make the feeling any more special.

:hehe:

Everybody always picks on AMC, I still have a Gremlin on the wishlist though!
While this is an interesting idea, and as much as I root for the lowly VP, I just cant see the cost involved being practical, I'm sure it's far cheaper to P-pump, and probably still cheaper to swap a common rail in. Definately watching this thread though.

Well, if you could under drive 2 of them at half engine speed with alternating injection events, you could potentially fully fuel at 6000 rpm.

Their is a 6.5l on YouTube that is in a tractor that has dual rotary pumps, belt driven and tee'd together.

delete the vaccuum pump and mod it to fit there lol, then run power steering off a belt drive system.

Is Monster pump mike even around and in business anymore? As far as the P pump comments, I hate them with a passion. Everyone that cant nor wants to try something different puts one on and common rail is king for just about all of it, but you cant just kick the old iron and technology aside when something new and flashy comes out. Effective yes, cheap.....well depends. I know over driving any pop style injection pump will ruin timing and is not possible. The cog supercharger style belt is the type I mentioned about using.

Those are just my opinions. I know there's cheaper and easier ways to make power, but I like to be different, with new or old junk. The best kicker, I'm doing it on a 12v (1990 era). With 01 electronics, all it needs is the cam sensor in the front case and 01-02 cam gear. Put the rest of the 01 sensors in and it should be ok. I have all this junk laying around so I'm really out nothing except for time and some crafty parts. Injector lines, you can use the M12 thread VE pump dv holders in the VP, and vise versa. Or get an ESN for a QSB-44 which is a factory cummins 12v fueled by a VP30 or 44 and order the injector lines that way. Which I have part numbers for as well. I think it'll be interesting.