AsTroSS

problems start @80 psi
Have somebody done this kind if conversion to Dually rear axle:

1. The inner wheel is stock 17 inch steel
2. The outer is regular (single wheel) aluminum wheel

The tires will be 35x12.5-17

How big spacers is needed?

Why I need?

I have idea to convert my dump truck from 16 inch dually to 17 inch, but I only have two 17 inch steel dually wheels on full set of H2 17 inch aluminium wheels.

All kind of advice is welcome.

Assuming the dually wheels you have will run on the inside of the rear in their normal orientation (on a factory DRW truck) and the H2 on the outside?

What backspacing does the H2 wheels have? What are the widths of the wheels, both the dually and H2's?

Last edited:
I did something like this a long time ago, I think I used a dually wheel on the inside, then a front dually spacer (approx. 4 1/2" thick?), then a 2" aluminum spacer, then the outside regular wheel. Going from memory, but it worked on a pulling truck for a season.

According to internet, H2 wheels are 9x17 , ET10

The stock Gen3 dually wheels should be 7x17, no idea about backspace or Offset

Also to mention the axle is Ram 3500 , 2005 AAM11.5

Also one option will be to use 16 inch dually inside and 17 inch stock dually wheel outside, but still for 35 inch tires some spacer is needed.

According to internet, H2 wheels are 9x17 , ET10

The stock Gen3 dually wheels should be 7x17, no idea about backspace or Offset

Backspacing/offset of the dually wheel would depend on it's orientation. As a front, the backspacing could be up to 10" and as an outer rear, it could be a -3" (if that's understandable).

The H2 wheels with a positive offset of 10mm (0.39") and a 9" width, backspacing is going to be around 4.89". Call it 5". Backspacing being the dimension from the hub mounting surface/flange of the wheel to the inside lip of the wheel. Positive offset meaning the mounting surface is 10mm to the outside of the center line of the wheel.

The sidewall of a 12.5" wide tire on a 9" wheel would protrude approximately 1.75" from the lip of the wheel, both inside and out.

To run the dually wheel as the inner rear and the H2 wheel as an outer, I'd say you could maybe run a 4"-5" spacer between the wheels. If that is the idea you're going for.

These are only my guesses since I don't have the wheels and tires to take dimensions and experiment with.

Last edited:
when i did that on my puller it came out to be like a 9" spacer.
17" bud wheel with 17"3rd gen wheel outside. ill try and dig up some pics

Back