dually tires, need advice

NCR

Need tires for truck in sig. I would like to go as big as possible for stock height. I may be lifting it 2" in the near future.

I'm thinking of:
Nitto Terra Grapplers
Mickey's ATZ
Toyo M/T or A/T

in 265/70/17 or 285/70/17 load range E. Will I need spacers?

Im running 265's on my ram and I had to space them. I want to go to a 285to close up the gap in between the rears

Ive got 285/75 16 on the front and 255/85/16 in the rears.they are basically 33's all around and no lift ,no spacer and it only rubs the inner fender on extreme turns very minimally.A levelling kit would take care of it for sure.

Plans are a changin. I've got 2" spacers comingand now upping the tire size. I'm thinking about BFG KM2 in a 305/65/17 E rated. Getting a 2-2.5" leveling kit just not too sure on whos, maybe a DR. I would meven go up to a 35" tire but haven't check out which is E rated.

I run 285s on my 2wd dually with 2" spacers in the back and 1-1/2" coil spacers up front.

Check out Kumho MT's. I run them in a 285/75R16 with a 1.75" spacer. They were only $120 each from Jegs and I love them in the mud and muck. The wide tire shot my mpg to sh*t by 2 mpg going from 235's to 285's. I don't know if it is the width or height that hurt me, but I lost 2 mpg going to these tires. I think I'll go with maybe a 255/85 next time to keep hieght but lose some width. I feel like I'm just floating on top when in the mud and not going down to grab like I want. Turning is hard, it just floats. All the tire you listed are nice, but too pricy for my tight butt. :D

Just my .02 I run the nitto terragrapplers 265. They are great in the rain. Good in the mud. The mud grapplers would look sick on your ride. The terra grapplers are a soft compound Ive been through 2 sets and am on my 3rd. I get about 35000 with hard driving and cornering. They do shift a little when cornering like the tread rolling. The dune grapplers will be my next set because of the flames.

I currently run 315/70/17 D rated. I use a 2' spacer in the rear and have plenty of clearance. I do have a leveling kit on the truck but I know i could fit 37x12.5 without rubbing issues.

I got 265/75/16 tires for my 99 dually.. Do you think .5" spacers are enough to make them clear OK?

4x4dually said:
Check out Kumho MT's. I run them in a 285/75R16 with a 1.75" spacer. They were only $120 each from Jegs and I love them in the mud and muck. The wide tire shot my mpg to sh*t by 2 mpg going from 235's to 285's. I don't know if it is the width or height that hurt me, but I lost 2 mpg going to these tires. I think I'll go with maybe a 255/85 next time to keep hieght but lose some width. I feel like I'm just floating on top when in the mud and not going down to grab like I want. Turning is hard, it just floats. All the tire you listed are nice, but too pricy for my tight butt. :D

Do you calculate the extra miles that aren't showing on your odometer from the larger tire size when you calculate your fuel mileage?

yep..that will make a big difference..with my 37" tire I am of .3 of a mil per mile on the odo

Ended up putting on Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/70/17 E rated with 2" spacers. Fit is great! No rubbing issues with stock height.

Bobcat698 said:
I got 265/75/16 tires for my 99 dually.. Do you think .5" spacers are enough to make them clear OK?
Im not sure if you have had this answered yet. I have the stock wheels with these and I can get my fingers in between them with out spacers. You will be ok. my 265 michellins were tighter. Had to use lube to fit my fingers in between them. anyway they wont touch about an 1" of space.

I tried mounting them without the spacer. It PROBABLY would have worked but I put the spacer in for peace of mind.

Here's a pic of my setup.
David013.jpg