Duramax in a 1st gen blazer

RAB 38

Hey guys, I am thinking about putting a duramax in my 72 blazer. It is fully restored sitting on 1 ton axles and 38" tires. It currently has a fuel injected 383 smallblock and I have been contemplating swapping it out for a large ci big block. I think for the amount of money it would cost to build a big block and upgrade to a 480le I could put in a duramax.

what year dmax is the best? what other auto trans will hold up behind it other than an allison? I don't think I have the room for the allison due to its length.

I am thinking I would use a aftermarket wiring kit if there is such a thing and would upgrade to a larger turbo and run efi live. I would be looking for about 600 to 650hp out of the combo.

any input would be appreciated, I know nothing about the duramax engines and what can be done to them with out going into the internals.

my brother seems to think that the 04 and below duramax LB7 is the better of the ones out there. i know his was pretty easy to get some power out of we just had intake and exhaust with the edge programmer and got 417 at the rear wheel with a 6 spd i am sure with what you are talking about running it may not be that hard to reach your goal of 600+. you might check in the actual duramax forums and get their input also i am sure they will give you answers to about everything you want to know and what works better in each combination.:Cheer:

That would be a sweet swap you should still be able to use the Allison. I thought about a Cummins in a K5 Blazer on like some 2 1/2 Ton Rockwells

Grab the new Diesel Power mag and check out the DMax in the 70 Chevy truck...it's sweet.

Grab the new Diesel Power mag and check out the DMax in the 70 Chevy truck...it's sweet.

Yeah and that is pretty much the same frame width wise. You could run the Allison i mean they go hand and hand well they did LOL You woud just need some custom driveshafts made. Wouldn't be the first time I saw a Rear drive shaft shorter than the front.

I saw that truck in the mag and that is what got me thinking about the swap again. It would be so cool to have 650hp and get 20mpg as opposed to the 300 i have not and get 10.....

As far as the allison goes I need to start doing some measurements but with the amount of lift I have and the length of the allison I think my driveshaft angles will be way to much.

I also was looking around last night and saw that PPE does havea stand alone wiring harness, guess I need to get a hold of them to talk details about doing a swap like this.

being it is a K5 you might get away with a fully built 4L85E due to the weight or lack there of compared to a 2500HD the dmax vans come with 4l85e int he truck

a fully dressed dmax wet is with in 100lb of and iron head BBC mounting bracket is about 17" form bellhouing to backside of engine mounts iirc

the allison is pushing 350lb wet

LB7 01-04.5 might be the easiest...

bellhousing bolt pattern is GM standard 6 bolt patern... meaning th350 th400 sm463, NV4500, 4l85Es will bolt right up

suncoat makes and adapter plate to mount atlas, np205s on the back on the tranny $$$$$$

~500/1000 (rwhp 20% drive train lose is 625ish at the fw) can be done with a stock trubo on any healthy dmax

thanks for the info, looks like I have many options. what makes to lb7 the best other than the bellhousing bolt pattern?

Back