Duramax into 86 Chevy?

LittleRed

Always Watchin'
I have a friend that is thinking of doing this swap, but hes not sure what he is getting into. Ive found a motor, complete w/ computer and harness....just dont know what to go with for a tranny....has anyone done this conversion? Looking for some info.....Thanks.

There's been a couple that's been done that I'm aware of. One used a nv4500 manual trans., the other used a 4L80/85 out of a van.

I'm planning to do this swap as well and haven't nailed down which trans. to go with just yet. I'm leaning towards the allison though.

There are a couple of books outlining duramax conversions. Look up member "pussow" on ebay. He made a manual after installing his 06LLY/4l85 in his 90 crew cab shortbed. I don't have it yet but I hear it's got some pretty useful information.

Just something to consider but PPE has had their hand in several duramax conversions. If you contact them, I'm sure they have some very helpful ideas and options for you to consider. ;)

Good luck. :D

I have a friend that is thinking of doing this swap, but hes not sure what he is getting into. Ive found a motor, complete w/ computer and harness....just dont know what to go with for a tranny....has anyone done this conversion? Looking for some info.....Thanks.

there is a guy on ebay that sells a cd that tells you everything that you need to do a conversion in one of those body style of pickups if you go to ebay.com and search for Item number: 200238909301 it will bring up the info about it he did it in a 1991 pickup but i am sure its similar for most applications.

If interested i got the tranny and it will come with the wiring harness and all. Its a 4l80E Pm for details

Will that take any adapters to put behind a dmax? I dont know, im a dumb cummins guy...Thanks

I'd say a new bellhousing would probably be all, if it doesn't fit as-is. It has been said that there are allison torque convertors made for the 4L80/85 transmissions that are MUCH better than a 4l80/85 specific convertor. Mike Lovrich of Inglewood Transmission can speak more of that.

Personally, if going auto, I think I'd most likely stick to a Dodge tranny for simplicity. besides the fact that they can be built to handle most any task at hand within reason.

C-ya