duramax power GTM supercar

cosmo22nov

well guys just thought i would share my dream car with everyone. this would be the factory five kit car powered by a duramax. the biggest problem i could think about this would be the transmission as it is a rear engine design. so here are some pictures of the car i the link below. so how about everyone shares their opinions on the idea.

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtm/gallery/ls6/gallery.html

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtm/gallery/ls7/gallery.html

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtm/gallery/track/gallery.html

whats the weight disadvantage

I think your going to see alot of fast cars switching to Dmax conversions.

There is a guy about a hour away doing a Nova Dmax conversion

I think it would be great, especially with a mid engine setup like they run.
I've got a potential project here in town, guy has a pontiac solstice that he's wanting to put a dmax in.

Reading about it looks like they mated the LSx GM engine to a Porsche transaxle... the reeason that is good news is because just about anything an LSx GM engine can bolt to, a DMax can bolt to. ;) Now whether it could handle the torque is a different concern but to actually get it to bolt up shouldn't be any harder than bolting up the LSx engine.

The availability of the duramax engines is become pretty easy to come by for reasonable money and more and more builds are being done using them. The more they are done, the more people will learn about how to make the conversions easier (as far as electronics) and it'll be fairly straight forward because they have a typical GM bolt pattern so they can be adapted, as far as driveline goes, to just about anything that has ever been setup to run a GM engine.

C-ya

so would the duramax pretty much bolt right up to the porsche transaxle? or is it a little more extensive then that. and likei said my biggest concern in the transmission and how it will handle the torque. i think it would still be pretty quick with just a stock d-max in it. my second biggest concern would be the weight of the engine and just being able to have the car handle it. but all in all i think it would still come out to be under 3000 lbs. it says on the website that with the corvette engine it only weight 2350 lbs

whatever a typical GM V8 engine will bolt to, a DMax will bolt to. I don't know what they had to do to mate the LSx engine to the porsche transaxle but if it bolted up then the DMax would bolt up. If an adapter was used, then the same adapter should work for the Dmax.

whatever a typical GM V8 engine will bolt to, a DMax will bolt to. I don't know what they had to do to mate the LSx engine to the porsche transaxle but if it bolted up then the DMax would bolt up. If an adapter was used, then the same adapter should work for the Dmax.

AWSOME! thats what i wanted to hear! lol

so do you think the trans axle could be tore down and rebuilt with heavy duty and buillit parts to make it stronger???

and what all would need to be addressed about the weight issue?

It will take a stout front suspension to handle the Dmax. Does anyone know the weight of a full dress Dmax? I was going to use a Dmax in my project untill I chose to use the crown vic suspension and figured it would be a little light duty for it. I think a really heavy duty mustang II suspension would handle it though, although I bet alot of people will disagree with me since tons of people said the cv suspension wouldnt handle an 800 pound diesel and it does fine.

It will take a stout front suspension to handle the Dmax. Does anyone know the weight of a full dress Dmax? I was going to use a Dmax in my project untill I chose to use the crown vic suspension and figured it would be a little light duty for it. I think a really heavy duty mustang II suspension would handle it though, although I bet alot of people will disagree with me since tons of people said the cv suspension wouldnt handle an 800 pound diesel and it does fine.

even with a midengine setup, you think the front suspension would be overly taxed with weight of a DMax?

IIRC a full dressed Dmax is a few hundred more pounds than a full dressed BBC.