Dyno Tuning Tips

xDiesel03

Can someone give me a few tips for dyno tuning with UDC? I am currently running a smoke free with a 50.8% split at the top end - EGTs are at 1300-1400 on a long WOT pull in 6th gear (posted the tune earlier in the 2003-3004 UDC thread) I'll be paying for three pulls and want to find out a max power tune. Should I write a tune for 50%, 51%, and 52% splits, or take a different approach? Also, other than EGTs what are the signs that you shouldn't add any more timing?

That was helpful for sure. So since I don't have black smoke at WOT and my EGTs continue to climb it is likely that I have too little timing. I'll have look but I think this tune is somewhere around 20 degrees max. I've read that 25-28 is the sweet spot for max timing but that puts my splits MUCH higher than the 50% rule since I run a shorter duration on the BBI 2s. Thoughts? I'm thinking I'll run a 50%, 52%, and 54% at the same duration and change the plan if EGTs don't do what I'm expecting.

Splits is about the last thing I worry about. When the head gasket blows back it out 3 degrees.

Thank you Joesixpack. I will post up the dyno sheets when they email me to them this week, but here were my results. Timing is roughly what I was running as max timing for each run. At the recommendation of the dyno operator I closed off the wastegate for those last two runs. My split fears are alleviated now. This confirms my thoughts that if the injectors are properly tuned to match the air flow of the turbo I can run similar max timing to what I was running on the stock injectors. I think the splits on the last run were something like 65-67% on the most powerful run and since everything was smooth, EGTs were good, I wasn't loosing power I could probably add a couple more degrees of timing.

18* timing; 477.9hp; 38psi
21* timing; 485.8hp; 38psi
24* timing; 501.9hp; 38psi
25* timing; 517.2hp; 45psi
26.5* timing; 529.2hp; 45psi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
The 03 Cobra was a beautiful car. I guess I just chose a day where none of the real powerful guys came out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
Back