E99 7.3 Died, no start

mack1call

first off, it's an early 99 f250 7.3 6 speed, only electronic mod is a TS chip.

hey guys, just went to leave work, had truck running for about 10 minutes with park brake on, turbo spooled a little when high idle kicked in, but then seemed to be off and on, for lack of a better term.

didn't think anything of it, hopped in and made it about a half mile down the road and she dropped to about 900 rpm while I was still at half throttle, threw the CEL and then shut down. I limped it to the next driveway and got off the highway. went to restart, it will turn over and sputter, maybe firing for a second or two at the most..

TONS of black smoke. tried taking chip to stock, then pulled it off ECM completely, no luck either way. hooked up to generic scan tool, no codes. is there a special code reader I need to be using?

hoping someone has had this issue before, truck is dead in the water and I have a trip to go on friday night.

thanks in advance guys!!!

thought I'd also add that I performed a full service 200 trouble free miles ago, as well as got an oil sample, it came back fine. hoping it's just a sensor or something simple?

Check low pressure oil. Check high pressure oil. Check the hpop regulator to be sure the nut and solenoid haven't vibrated loose and fallen off, seen that once. Check the low pressure oil sensor. Check fuel pressure. A good diagnostic tool can help you along but some pressure readings must be mechanical to verify.

Last edited:
how are the batteries and alt ?
and of course...... does the tach move when you crank it??? if not try the CPS.

Last edited:
batteries and alt are about 6 months old. before I dug in any deeper I threw a CPS at it. and it fired right up! thanks for the insight guys

Back