Early model vp off auto, on 02 HO?

Kyle_truck_pull

Has anyone ever tried using a vp off an older 24 valve automatic, an used it on a 02 HO engine? A buddy of mine did cause he got this pump cheaper, but when we got it done, it just don't have near the smoke or power as it did with the original vp when it was working properly. Not even close to the same. But it does run fine. I just wanted to here someone elses opinions.
Thanks!

If I'm correct the earlier model trucks were rated at 215hp and not 235hp like the later SO trucks. With that being said, the vp's should be the same. The SO pump on the HO truck might have a little less bottom end but better top end. Or the new pump might just be getting weak.

Just curious, I've never tried this before. He just Hasnt been happy with it since we changed the pump, but I wasn't sure if these pumps were really that different between years. I also forgot to mention he is hardly making 20lbs of boost when before he was pegging his 60lb gauge with a 66 charger. But we did look at the charger and it is rubbing the housing pretty bad.

Check the tap wire. I swapped my HO for a SO pump last year. It lost the bottom end snap but made 40hp more on the top end on the dyno and seems to be working just fine.