eaton rear end late 60 early 70 chevy trucks

bonesmx2000

supportn the single moms
has anyone tried a eaton rear axle out of a late 60 early 70s chevy??? the center section is huge, but the tubes are smaller than a dana 80 it also has a pinion snubber to help keep the pinion pushed against the ring gear came factory with 5.13 gears too.

if anyone has ran one or has any idea if it will hold up let me know.. i also heard that 14 bolt parts are interchangeable

Ran one in my old ITPA truck. Ring gear snubber is what helps the old Eaton in strength. Helps to keep ring gear from deflecting. Bad thing is the coarse spline axles and getting harder to find. Was told (but have not done it) that you can put in 10 1/2 corp. 14 bolt axle gears and axles in the eaton. Also came with 4.10, 4.56 gears.

didn't those truck also have coil rear suspension with trailing arms... ??

what kind of project are we dreamin up here ?

street truck with a 3 or 4 link on the cheap ?

So I have a question, if the 14-bolt parts fit in it, how is it stronger than a run of the mill 10 1/2" 14-bolt??? I too like the idea of the third pinion bearing (if that's what you guys mean by the pinion snubber) and how it reduces deflection...

So I have a question, if the 14-bolt parts fit in it, how is it stronger than a run of the mill 10 1/2" 14-bolt??? I too like the idea of the third pinion bearing (if that's what you guys mean by the pinion snubber) and how it reduces deflection...

One advantage to the Eaton rear is the fact that its third member is removable unlike the Corp 14 bolt. Not sure what else, but maybe Pinion Twister could shed some more light.

One advantage to the Eaton rear is the fact that its third member is removable unlike the Corp 14 bolt. Not sure what else, but maybe Pinion Twister could shed some more light.

That isn't always an advantage depending on how the housing was designed/manufactured.

They are nice for quick gear swaps though.

Is this a budget build? What is the application?

I had one in my 1963 Chevy pickup. It is my understanding that they are NOT as strong as the 10.5" 14 bolt. They are supposed to be stronger then the smaller 9.5" semi floating 14 bolt though. The parts are quite hard to find and more expensive then the 14 bolts as well. I could be wrong, but this info comes from a reputable differential shop near me. Just for the record, the 10.5" 14 bolt also has the 3rd pinion bearing.

Hard to tell what you are looking at in the pics. but the big lock nut you see on the side of the case with the flat sided head is adjustable (threaded in case) it has a flat copper/brass piece on the other end that runs against the flat surface you see on the ring gear.
Hope this helps
Keith

Attachments

• eaton2.jpg
    eaton2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 20
  • eaton1.jpg
    eaton1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 29
Hard to tell what you are looking at in the pics. but the big lock nut you see on the side of the case with the flat sided head is adjustable (threaded in case) it has a flat copper/brass piece on the other end that runs against the flat surface you see on the ring gear.
Hope this helps
Keith

Looks like a load bolt to control ring gear deflection if you ask me...

just trying to find a way to run 2.8 class and get away from breaking ring and pinions n dana 80s every 6 to 8 hooks
everyone i have talked to says different ABOUT THEM one person says indestructable and the other says junk
i know of some gas trucks running them in itpa and they are holding up great

the eaton i have has leaf spring pads and it is a dually axle as well im just trying to find a cure for the d80 if any one has anyother ideas let me know thanks
this is going in my 97dodge

one thing i have heard about them is the Jeep people taking them and making them a front axle cause you could swap the third member and back cover. also i believe when i was looking up the one i have in the 69 of mine that yes it is interchangeable with the 10.5 gm rear ends. i have thought about those as well as the rockwell transfer cases that came in the 4x4 trucks.

they are eaton ho72s. they have a 10.5 inch ring gear and they are interchangable with 14 bolts. only difference being the side spider gears. if you switch the side gers with a 14 bolts then you can run 14 bolt axle shafts and they are just as strong. some people swear buy them other love 14 bolts. they are more popular in the offroading scene. i have never heard anything bad about them

They Eaton have axle tube twisting problem 14bolts have, and the reason they are more popular off road is the 3rd member and better ground clearance, get 14bolt weld the tubes to housing and your set.