ECM or TPS?

After searching and reading several threads, I have gotten some direction on solving my problem; but since I haven't seen an exact case like mine I'm going to throw this one to you guys. I have had 2 intermittent problems show up in the last month: dead pedal, and a free-rev/ high idle situation these have now become constant. During each situation the pv2 monitor on my Quad would read elevated tps signals 101% or 7/8% respectively, with ECM voltage at 13.6 on the nose. I did an apps reset this afternoon with little result, I'm trying it again in the morning leaving it sit overnight this time. So my question is which to throw parts at first? ECM or apps? With the truck being a '99 I can't use the key trick to get codes and haven't seen a CEL unless the truck is acting up. :banghead::banghead:TIA

I've never seen the APPS reset do anything for anyone. My guess is an ECM. Find a buddy that has a like truck and swap his into yours and drive it around the block before you buy one. It won't take but about 30 minutes to do a swap and know which part it is. Just find another 99 with the same tranny as yours and swap it.

Thanks, before doing that I took it up to Advance and swapped the batteries trying some of the fixes found in previous threads and for the moment it's solved the problem. Pulled the codes while I was there too and nothing points to a bad apps, if it comes back I'll be under it swapping computers

Alternator could be bad as well. I have had the exact same problem, multiple times with ecms. Mark Nixon should be able to help with ecm.

Yeah, I know Mark is definitely the parts man. But that's a long way to ship when I can probably do a little junkyard diving and find another local. I'm holding my breath it was the batteries, they were so corroded on the terminal broke when trying to pull the cables off and the truck is now running so much smoother & quieter than before. Had to get out & walk around it this afternoon just to enjoy how much noise reduction there was.

Drove more today & the devil is back. Time to do some wrenching. Anyone in the Raleigh, NC area have a second gen auto they'd be willing to loan me an ecm off of for 30 minutes? I'll provide the case of beer or bottle of liquor of your choice, within reason of course.

Last edited:
You still had the factory apps? I don't think I have seen one last this many years. Most have converted to timbo apps.