ECM reflash, who's done it?

HillbillyD-Luxx

After getting a few opinions from knowledgeable people (one being from Geno's), I was considering getting my ECM reflashed to see if it would clear up my issue with the truck running at WOT randomly. I called a dealership and they asked why i wanted to reflash my ECM. I told them why, and they asked if I had a programmer on the truck, and I told him yes. He said from what they've experienced, trucks that have had programmers on them will sometimes not reflash, and I will be left with a blank ECM and end up needing to buy a new one. At $2250, I really don't want to risk it, but I would like to cure this "glitch" with my truck. I have a BDTD power pup on the truck. Has anyone reflashed their ECM after programmer issues? Was it successfully reflashed? I have recently replaced my APPS with a TIMBO to see if that cleared it up, but it didn't. Figured it wasn't really a loss, since the factory ones are prone to go bad anyway. Also, does anyone know where you can get a used Dodge ECM that comes pre-tuned? I know my friend said that there is a place that does this for Duramax's, and the ECM is only around $500.

I have never had my ECM reprogrammed so I cannot comment on the results...

I will say I had my truck running WOT when letting off to coast to stops every so often. It was the fault of the APPs. Search around for Timbo Apps and this may be all you need to do. Just in case no one had ever stated this problem can be caused from a faulty APP.

In case you are not aware APPs = Accelerator Pedal Position sensor..

Is quite interesting when truck goes WOT when not expected. First time this happened I had loaned my truck to a friend, woke him right up!

Good luck with your repair..

I will say I had my truck running WOT when letting off to coast to stops every so often. It was the fault of the APPs. Search around for Timbo Apps and this may be all you need to do. Just in case no one had ever stated this problem can be caused from a faulty APP.

Is quite interesting when truck goes WOT when not expected. First time this happened I had loaned my truck to a friend, woke him right up!

Thanks. I did replace my APPS, actually the same day my lift pump **** out on me... Anyhow, I talked to a few professionals, and they all said the same thing: running at WOT shouldn't be the fault of an APPS, the APPS fails to an idle always, not to WOT. Everyone seemed to think that the problem lay in the ECM. FWIW, the opinions came from Tim (from TIMBO), my friend who is a diesel mechanic for Ohio CAT, and someone from Geno's garage.

Sounds like an ecm. Mine did something similar back in March. Just find a used ecm and swap it on.

He said he already changed the apps.

Does the problem still happen with the bullydog removed? I know back in the day it was rumored that the bullydog could corrupt the ecm and even returning to stock there would be traces of the tuner still in the ecm. Do you have access to a smarty to try? It will over write whatever is in your ecm, corrupt or not and it will have a newer Chrysler update attatched with the download.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

dealer is just covering their ass...

Cummins ECM's are weak and it's not uncommon for them to fail while programming.

BUT, if it's surviving your programmer, it'll survive a DRB/StarsCAN, etc.

BUT, a reflash probably isn't going to fix your issue

Does the problem still happen with the bullydog removed? I know back in the day it was rumored that the bullydog could corrupt the ecm and even returning to stock there would be traces of the tuner still in the ecm. Do you have access to a smarty to try? It will over write whatever is in your ecm, corrupt or not and it will have a newer Chrysler update attatched with the download.

I removed the BullyDog when I had issues with it stalling a week ago as my first action to see if it was simply an issue with the programmer. Turns out it was the LP that went bad. I "removed" (put back to stock power) the Bullydog, but haven't had a chance to drive the truck since it has been "removed", I'm waiting on the LP to get here from Geno's. When I get it running, I will try and see if it fixed the problem, but usually the WOT problem only occurs when it's about 25 deg F or colder.

My buddy just bought a Smarty for his 04, I guess I could try it... I'm a little worried though, does it stand a chance of making the problem worse or complicate things by adding another programmer to an already glitched ECM?

Well its not for certain your ecm is the problem. I don't see any problem with downloading the smarty. It will just write over the stock file or any thing left from your current tuner.

How can a used ECM be flashed to replace an existing ECM or made as a spare with the same Vin as current ECM?

I ran a Smarty on my truck, cleared it, went to dealer
and had them flash my ecm, had no problem.
The reason I had them flash it was I couldn't clear P2509.

Back