ECM/Wiring harness swap, what to do?

Smokin ACE

1st gen turbo tester
I am currently swapping an 02 into a 98.5 body. The motor is an 02 I believe, the guy I bought it from said it was an 02 but I cant really read the tag well enough to tell. The EPA tag says meets 2001 emissions so its at least newer than 01. It has wires going the crank and cam sensor just like the old 98.5 motor does. I was told once I could use the 02 harness and ECM and be ok, but looking at it closer now the plug ins on the 02 harness to go to the distribution block or the body of the truck is different than the 98.5 harness. Also I don't see a 3 pin data plug below the Injection pump like the 98.5 harness has. But looking at it, most everything else should plug in, I will have to swap alternators as well from what it looks like because they have a different hook up.

What I was wondering is if I could use the 02 ECM and 98.5 wiring harness on this 02 motor to make it work? That way I could still plug the harness in to the 98.5 distribution block? The ECMs appear to be close to the same with 45 pins on the left plug and 50 pins on the right. Or should I just put both the 98.5 ECM and harness to the 02 motor? What can/should I do? I'm still worried about having issues with the cam and crank sensors from what I've heard earlier, is there any way to bypass them to make this motor work if not? Thanks in advance

The 98.5 to 2000 has a crank sensor in the drivers side of the block that reads a reluctor wheel mounted on the crank.
The 01 02 only uses the cam sensor for a position reference and does not have the reluctor wheel on the crank. The blocks do have the provision for the sensor but is capped off. u can use the 02 motor in the 98.5 with 98.5 wiring but u have to swap out the crank and sensor from the 98.5 engine. Hope this helps.

Also if u can get me the eng. serial # I can tell u what year eng. it is.
If u cant read the tag on the timing cover it is stamped in the block on the top of the oil cooler cavity.

Install with the 02 ecm and engine harness use the 98.5 pcm and engine compartment harness it will work. You will then have to use a 01 02 chip.....Or you will have to swap out cam and crank shaft(not worth it)

Install with the 02 ecm and engine harness use the 98.5 pcm and engine compartment harness it will work. You will then have to use a 01 02 chip.....Or you will have to swap out cam and crank shaft(not worth it)

And front case i've done this swap before it sucks really bad but I did use the 99 wiring to the 02 truck and worked awesome hpe this helps