EFI vs. Mr. Larry

black beauty

Ive had efi for quite some time now. The truck runs good, it made 686 to the wheels at scheids this year. Before I had efi, I had bd with crazy larry installed. between the two, I have to say that bd feels quite a bit stronger then it does now with efi....I know you guys are thinking Im nuts, but the throttle response down low is not what bd was. I never dyno'd it with bd so I cant say one or the other has more power. I did like how it drove before, I just cant seem to get use to how it is now.....I would love to see a comparison between the two tuners....I would just like some input from you guys that switched from bd to efi....

With proper tuning, EFI can provide crisp throttle response, low smoke and quick spool.

With your setup, a hands on tuning session would work best to cover all your bases, but if your not close to a tuner, be prepared to take logs and give meaningful feedback to help the tuner provide the best EFI had to offer.

~Les

Sounds like some more communication is needed and feedback with your tuner. When a customer calls me and says "It doesn't run like my old tuner did", then we start logging and I ask the customer for exactly what does not feel as good. Sometimes it is as simple as adjusting the throttle pedal tables, and sometimes I have to rework at lot of things to get them satisfied. That is the beauty of EFI Live, you should never hear "well that is just the way it is going to be". Things can always be changed as long as you have the motor/mods to support what you are wanting.

If you could see the maps of your old tuner, you would know why there was more throttle response down low, its called sloppy tuning. Most "box tuners" command nearly full fuel by 25% throttle apply. So essentially all thats doing is making your throttle sweep smaller. Sloppy in my eyes.

I agree with Les 100%, I used to run smarty with mp-8, I know what your talking about, it was one of my main concerns, the truck was kinda dead on the bottom, but with some logging and alot of texting my truck is better than before with out all the smoke and a lot smoother throttle, crisp and smooth, hard combo to beat.

That is the beauty of EFI Live, you should never hear "well that is just the way it is going to be".

ain't that the truth, truth!

i think what the OP is going thru is he probably had the BD under his right foot for so long, he got used to that "1 inch = full pedal" feeling...:poke:

i love the "full range of pedal" i have now. being at half throttle really equals half pedal with EFI

Have you told Fleece about this so they could try some tweaking?

Chris

Im going up there this week sometime to get it tweaked. If you guys are right, I cant wait to get it changed.....To be honest, I really thought it would of dyno'd more then what it did with efi. with edge and hot unlock and 100hp injectors, the truck made 652 last year

ain't that the truth, truth!

i think what the OP is going thru is he probably had the BD under his right foot for so long, he got used to that "1 inch = full pedal" feeling...:poke:

i love the "full range of pedal" i have now. being at half throttle really equals half pedal with EFI

Your right! I did like that 1inch = full pedal. It will just take some gettin use to.

Once I get up there to fleece and get retuned, ill report back

Once you get a proper tune for your truck you will forget all about crazy larry.

fleece will get you worked out.. also make sure you go to same dyno everytime cant base numbers of diff. dyno's

they just did a few weeks ago. this thing runs awesome now! Brayden is the man! Im goin back up there in a few weeks to get the shift strategy done and puttin their billet 71 wheel on and try that

seat of the pants feel, yes.....havent been on a dyno to prove that yet though. as soon as I get my coolant bypass kit on and brayden gets access to the efi shift strategy, Im goin back up there to get on the dyno and do before and after runs with his billet 71 wheel oppossed to my 69 from forced inductions. I just about cant wait to see what she'l make. Hopin for it to be in the 800's. that could be wishful thinkin though. we shall see