EGR Cooler ?'s

pstrang

I've got an 2005 with the scoup in the uppipe. I was replacing my intake elbow and noticed how gunked up my intake was. Even though my EGR has been disabled for 99% of engine life.

Anyway, I got frustrated and had my neighbor weld shut my EGR. Since there isn't any more flow, are there any problems with too high of a pressure build up in the EGR cooler? Going to get too hot in there?

What about Elite Diesel's replacement up pipe (60UPEGR)? I'd like one, but very expensive for just a pipe. Anyway, it appears this pipe removes the scoup, but what blocks the egr cooler inlet? Is it just left wide open?

Also, can a weekend hobbiest install this? If I remove my exhaust downpipe, it looks like I can *almost* reach the bolts. Tool recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

My buddy with an 05 just installed one. He was skeptical at first, but he's not anymore. Says it runs alot better now, also cured his puking problem. The egr cooler is left opened to the atmosphere.

I bought a new up pipe and took it to a welding shop (I don't have welding equipment, nor do I the knowledge of how to use it even if I had it) and had the scoop cut out and the pipe welded shut again. The branch which was cut off was shortened so that only the flange which mates to the EGR cooler remained. The flange piece was welded shut. When reinstalling, the up pipe replaced the stock one, and the flange cap was mounted onto the EGR cooler to prevent any unfiltered air from being drawn in or boost being forced out (you never know) or bugs from making a nest.

Eventually I would like to aquire an old EGR cooler and modify it such that I can completely remove the cooler and have the coolant flow in a direct path through a hose, preventing any future potential leaks.

Betaracer said:
The branch which was cut off was shortened so that only the flange which mates to the EGR cooler remained.

Thanks..this sounds like what I want. Can you give more details what you mean by 'branch cut off' and 'shortened'. If it's shortened, then it wouldn't fit back it the truck. How much did the replacement uppipe cost? Gaskets?

Oh, also, did you have to loosen any turbo pedistal bolts or manifold bolts to get the upipe off and the new one back on? Besides the downpipe, any other items need taken out to reach the uppipe?

Thanks for your help.

The RH manifold to turbo pipe is part # 5c3z 6k854 aa. Probably about $100.

Once you have one in your hand you'll see what's involved and what is required.

I was fortunate to have mine installed when my truck was in the shop for EGR cooler replacement (plus oil cooler, radiator, degas bottle, hoses and tubes....) so I didn't need to do it myself. From my research, I was told the 3 feet of extensions are needed for the socket. Remove the front right wheel and fender liner and work from the top, side and bottom. Spray with a rust buster oil and let soak for a while. There is a gasket between the EGR cooler and the y-pipe, and another between the y-pipe and the turbo pedestal. The metal gaskets should be able to be reused. When reinstalling, use high temperature anti sieze to hold the gaskets in place until the pipe and cap are back in place. And use it on the nuts and bolts too.