EGR options

Ford4Eva

FNG
Apologies if this is off limits, but I didn't see any rules governing this topic.

I live in Washington State which is second in line to California when it comes to environmentalist legislation. Thankfully it's not as bad here yet...but we do still have mandatory emissions testing for vehicles over 5 years old. I'd like to know what my options are for protecting my motor by limiting the EGR operations, but still be able to revert to a street-legal setup that will pass emissions testing. With the EGR blocked off or removed, I'm not against running a tune that would severely limit the fuel mixture, but I don't know if that'd be enough. I'd rather not go through a complete EGR cooler swap every time I have to get tested (every 2 years)...so a pipe switch may be the easiest thing to do. What do you guys think?

Move to a different state. Youmay wish to talk t eric. He can pull fuel outta the tune. I think thats how the dodge people get by for smog testing.

You should be able to do what I did and take out the cooler and weld up the two ends and weld the up pipe then re-install it. I doubt they will try hard enough to look at the up pipes to see it not connected. Other than that it looks stock. As far as the tuning is concerned I would say to talk to someone that does the tuning like eric, elite or someone that is reputable and see what they have done for a "emissions" tune.

What's under the hood doesn't concern the emissions people - they don't have any reason to look. They just hook up the truck to the rollers, run up the RPMs and check for exhaust opacity.

That's if my truck is under 8500 GVW, which I'm not sure is the case. I'll have to look at the sticker when I get home. If it's over 8,500...I just sit out in the parking lot in neutral and rev the engine. Same test though.