EGT Probe

dodgeplowman21

Smokin' Rubber
I've read a couple places that seem to say it is okay to just drill a hole in the exhaust manifold and start the truck and the shaving's will go out the back. Will that mess of up the turbo, or does that have to be disconnected. I don't really wanna take the risk of tearing up the turbine or anything.

There are alot of people that do it that way. I don't choose to.

I am still a bit skeptical about doing it that way. As long as there is little potential for turbine damage, then I might do it that way for easiness when I get my new exhaust. Anyone know if they do it with the engine running or not? I would assume engine running.

I have done all 4 of mine that way with the exception of using grease on the drill bit as I go. The majority of the shavings seem to stick to the bit and never drop into the manifold. From there I clean up what I can still get to around the hole then just fire it up. No problems so far!

I've done many trucks by just drilling with the truck running...wear glasses or something, I got shavings blown into my eye.:badidea:

I did mine that way, but I put some petroleum jelly on the tip of the drill bit and drilled on the slowest setting that my drill had backed out and cleaned the tip off then redipped it in the petroleum jelly. I did it the same way when I was tapping the hole, just take your time and wear safety goggles, the exhaust is hot and it will blow hot metal shavings into your eyes. Would help to wear a long sleeve shirt too.