EGT #'s on a 62/14?

B.A.Ram

A Big Deal
What are you guys running while cruising? Driving on the interstate this weekend unloaded I was seeing 800-1050 running 75 with the smarty on 8, drag on 1, and boost running between 0-15. Seem a little high to you guys? What I think is funny, running with hardly any foot in the peddle and the drag turned down I can hit 1000 very easy. However when I stomp on it with the drag on 5x5 and the smarty on 8 I only get up to 1250. Hmmmm....What do y'all think?

yeah mine does the same thing without the smarty depending on outside temps

I hauled two loads of cattle from the Texas line to my house this weekend. I love this 62/14...minus the short spin up delay. I had the cruise set on 75 mph with 22 #450 weight steers plus trailer so about #13,000. On the straight aways I'd run about 10 psi at 950-1050 egt. On the heavy hills I'd run about 24 psi at 1150 egt. I only hit 1200 once and that was because I dropped below 2K before the hill. Juice was on level 2 with low boost fueling set to 1.

Unloaded, ya I can hit 1250 on 5x5. I think you are right in there as far as my numbers go. This turbo is bad ass for pulling trailers I can tell you that.

I have a 62/12 so my exhaust is a little smaller, but from what I have been told the HTT like to have the boost up to keep them cooler, If you are a low boost it will be alittle hotter$.02

B.A.Ram said:
What I think is funny, running with hardly any foot in the peddle and the drag turned down I can hit 1000 very easy. However when I stomp on it with the drag on 5x5 and the smarty on 8 I only get up to 1250. Hmmmm....What do y'all think?

I think it'll warm up faster now =P Sounds like a great setup.

Sound this sounds pretty standard. The only complaint I have with this turbo is driving in Dallas traffic sucks because its smokey and you can't hardly wrap it up. Driving on main highways w/out traffic though is great...instant spool

I don't know much about no "INSTANT" spool with this baby, but it does ok. It spools "instantly" if I wrap it to 2800 and catch it on my shifts before it drops below 2300 but that is when it barks. I have learned to drive a whole lot different since the install.

With my smarty and comp setting on the highway 8-42psi is almost instant....

hmmmm just thinking outloud here but after reading this thread i can pass 1400 empty within a few seconds.... hmmmm

Off of your topic, but my next mod is going to be a better Turbo.....Probably going with High Tech on Garmon's recommendation.......

What is the difference in a 62/14 and a 62/12 ???..........Jeff said to go with a 62/12 so I would have a good top turbo if and when I want to build a set of twins.....

Sorry to interupt but if you want to respond, just let me know your thoughts...

Its just the exhaust housing and the smaller housing would be quicker with higher egts and drive pressures at WOT

With my 62/12 and smarty on 5 with TST off I run around 8-10psi and 850-950*. This is on flat ground. Going up and down hills I can see 30psi and 1250* at 70mph depending on how big a hill it is.

I have a 12 valve but I was wondering the same thing about my 64/13 SS turbo.. I don't remember it being so warm cruising down the freeway at 70-75. But maybe for this type of turbo.. 800 or just shy of it is normal?

It's perfectly normal for egt's to run a little warmer with a bigger turbo. The reason being is that since it is bigger it isn't running as much boost going down the road as the stocker so it's going to be a hair warmer. There's nothing to worry about.