egt very low?

tristan21

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what my egt should be. I tow heavy (15,000) from time to time and hot rod my truck around quite a bit and I dont know why I have never seen 1300 or over at all out of my truck. I use the juice only for gauges at this point and I have very low(compared to some) egts and am curious if If im not getting a false reading. I have a new mech. boost and fuel psi gauge I am going to install but I was thinking I might also want a mech. egt gauge. If so, do I need to put my probe in a different location than where edge tells you to put it. The instructions they incuded show it going in front of the #4 piston (counting from the front of the truck) which is where the other one is. Is that gonna give be the most accurate reading?

How do you have your electronics set when you tow? do you hammer it hard running hills and such? BTW, welcome to Comp D!

:welcome:

Well people think I am a lyier but I have very large injectors with a 66 and the bd downloader fass run a muffler blah blah and when I tow on tow haul with 15k to 20k up some very steep grades I don't go over 1350. The truck never stops smoking but the key for me is to keep my rpm's up and boost up which is easy with the 6spd.

high rpm high boost is the key, and getting that POS stock turbo out as well

feelmecummin said:
high rpm high boost is the key, and getting that POS stock turbo out as well

Yep there are two speeds for me 70 in 5th or 85 in 6th due to the 22.5 and 3.73's my rpm's run so low and if I don't keep the truck above 2100 rpm's the drone from the twin 7's is so loud I was developing a tumor.

Last edited:
I give her quite a bit with the trailer on sometimes but I watch the gauge and it will hit 1250 sometimes but nothing more. I guess I had just seen enough posts of people that had so many problems with less than I have so I just thought the probe placement might have been wrong or reading less than I was hitting and was soon gonna grenade my turbo(which hopefully will be soon so the old lady will unload enough of the dough to get a a5k) or burn up the pistons(dont thay make better pistons for these now?).

yep stock charger. Im thinkin I might hang onto her and just see what I can get out out of it, I let some of the guys that work for me drive it down to florida to bring me the truck and I know they were hard on it (shut it off probably 450* or more). And I almost always leave the boxes all the way up!

Last edited:
i dont know that an a5k would be your best turbo for towing anything, look in the silver bullet 66 or a Silver 64

Ive seen a few with it that tow on the DTR and one guy got 90,000 outta his before he blasted it and then he had it rebuilt for fairly cheap and sold it. I think he went to twins. If I had the dough i'd go that way too probly.

to what twins? they are they best way to go, but expensive. did you ever see cquestad's egt's while he was towing? he said minimun 1200-1400

I guess I never read that thats a bunch. Also I have since bodded my cp3 and now I can get to 1400* so much for that. I could put a stocker back on and be ok I think but I guess I should just save up for a good stage 2 or something. What is the best way to go with that? Who has got the most HP from a single cp3?