EGT's While Pulling?

Thats way to low of timing IMO , Im running a stock cam and getting close to 30deg , on the road it takes awhile to reach 1600 but then it holds there , I hit the water and it drops another 200 but I loose a little boost I noticed tonight, might b to much and putting it out? Anyways try say 25 and work yr way up

Yeah, you need to be running at least 25 or 26* IMO.

Teddy Bears truck used to glow a flame at I think 20*. We bumped it up to 25* and it killed the flame and EGT's seemed to climb much slower.

Definately bump your timing.

Eric

do you mean hauling a John deere 55 combine with a 3 row wide corn head behind my truck with a benched 500cc pump, marine injectors and my 2.8 hx50 turbo is asking for trouble?:hehe:

Not saying that it isnt do-able. Just that i dont want a burnt piston in my engine, so I like my EGT gauge a lot when im hauling! :Cheer:

When i haul something is the only time i ever watch it though. I keep an eye on it on the hills and accelerating hard with a load, but other than that, racing, pulling, and daily driving i dont look at it a lot since i pretty much know where its at anyways, and that im not gonna let out of it if im racing or pulling:hehe:

Eric

I checked my datalogger after my pull at Listie last night. It was a sticky track & heavy sled. My egts were 1767* @57psi boost. I could never see those kinds of egts on the street. Its just the nature of sled pulling.

Got a BIG cam From haisley. Ported head wiith out press in seats. Bigger valves. S474sx with a 1.0 housing, HTT 3pc manifold. 22.5* timing. Decompressed and flycut pistons.

Whats realy weird....Im running the EXACT same if not higher EGT's with all the goodies as i was with the stock head, stock cam, 66mm turbo, same injectors, same fuel pump set up exactly the same.

I thought all this EXPENSIVE stuff was supposed to do something?

Could be that you got a lot more air going to motor and burning up that fuel,might need more fuel and/or more timing

I have never heard of anybody adding fuel to cool it off. more fuel = more heat. unless you need the extra fuel to get your turbo to lite off then I could understand it. I don't even turn on my fuel until the turbo is spooled up otherwise it just snuffs it out and the turbo won't lite.

I have never heard of anybody adding fuel to cool it off. more fuel = more heat. unless you need the extra fuel to get your turbo to lite off then I could understand it. I don't even turn on my fuel until the turbo is spooled up otherwise it just snuffs it out and the turbo won't lite.

thats because you dont have a real truck. LOL Just kidding. You add more fuel to cool them down but that creats excess smoke. Pullers have done this for years. Street trucks are alittle different. All of my tractor pulling buddies with ag gov.s use there fuel screw to adjust the temp of the egt.

More fuel will cool it down once you get to a certain point. A lot of the 2.8 and 3.0 guys especially do it.

Eric

1820* is the highest I've pulled up on the data logger at the end of the 1/4 mile drag race. Who knows what it would be if I tried hooking to a 40K sled???

thats because you dont have a real truck. LOL Just kidding. You add more fuel to cool them down but that creats excess smoke. Pullers have done this for years. Street trucks are alittle different. All of my tractor pulling buddies with ag gov.s use there fuel screw to adjust the temp of the egt.
Mine did the same. 450cc @ 50psi boost equals 1250F. Reduce to 400cc @ 50psi and I see 1700F.

I moved my plate FF 2night and EGTS were 1450 ish no water , I'm going to slide it back some kinda choking it out

Most of my buddies try to run there egts at about 1750* approx. Some like it hotter some alittle less but thats a good average for them. I think they say with their schied pumps that a full turn is like 50cc" If they notice as the air changes and what not causes the egts to climb, they will throw another half turn in and see how that does or the take it away if the smoke is getting thicker and the egts is running cooler

yea I know I am just getting into going this deep. my truck isn't a dedicated puller yet so I guess I don't have the knowledge you guys do. I have been watching and trying to learn though. within the next 2 years I hope to have my truck a dedicated puller and be a strong one at that but I don't have the money yet to make that jump.

I still just go to the local "brush pulls" trying to get my setup tuned in so that I can start going to some larger venues.

someday...

mine with the 120 sticks CP3 and the smallish charger will hit 1600 halfway down the track I know its about 1800 at the end.

Back