Electric Power Steering in cummins

bigjoe92992

I have a 01 cummins and im looking to install electric power steering. Any ever do this? Looking for some more info

Kinda curious why? Factory electronic steering has proven to be expensive and unreliable thus far from what I see...

Room for what. The reservoir isn't that big and it's integral to the pump on that setup. It can be relocated and a remote reservoir can used if that's what your after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do know that the pump does your brake booster (hydroboost) as well for 97+ trucks right? And also that the reservoir is actually really small, and probably 70% of its volume is the actual power steering pump right?

You could switch to a vacuum pump brake booster I suppose, but I also haven't seen many electric PS setups that work well.

But electric power steering makes it so easy to turn it into an over-grown RC car.

Just something ive heard about. Thought it was a cheaper way around hydraulic assist. Yes i know it operates the hydro boost but its on a pull truck and brakes are rarely used anyways.

Electric steering is a complicated system to make feel similar to hydraulic. The other issue you would have is the amperage it would take to even turn it. Guessing 300+ amps sitting still. For reference stock 14 Silverado is fused at 175a and is belt driven gear rack and pinion style. What space you would gain by removing it would be taken back 2x by another battery.

I didn't know anything about. Someone mentioned it so I figured someone with more knowledge about it would help me out. I will not be doing this setup lol thank you all for the help

^That's what I interpreted from the OP, i.e. the same principle as an electric fan or electric water pump

I've never seen electric steering on a truck. I always thought it was a atv/utv and prius kind of thing :hehe: any pics of the functioning electric steering setup? Just curious. I always thought hydraulic assist would be the cats meow. ..

I have electric power unit on my pulling truck for steering....

It is an electric/hydraulic pump just like several other guys run on there pullers. I have mine plumbed into the factory steering box.

I assumed the op was trying to ask about this, sorry if I understood wrong.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=f92f1e4986&view=fimg&th=14951ac5c50d60f7&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1483120995224923330-local0&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ9s6D6aWdO0EEDXglUq1PM3Kt4aqIzphPs4ZGRbLJql_XEr5JAXxjw41uE8N-wXVEzXciJNsVr4oj2eCqJDU4t58hbuqgXlqgysFmkMXngjcyaAjKr7S48FPjc&ats=1414414492891&rm=14951ac5c50d60f7&zw&sz=w1886-h800

That link doesn't work, at least not for me. It looks like it's a link to your email, which wouldn't let people on unless they are logged into your email.

I've never seen electric steering on a truck. I always thought it was a atv/utv and prius kind of thing :hehe: any pics of the functioning electric steering setup? Just curious. I always thought hydraulic assist would be the cats meow. ..

Hydraulic assist is pretty easy to do. I have it on my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back