Electric Water pump

Blacksdieselhp

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Im going to an electric water pump and was wanting some input on the stock replacement electric pump vs the in line pump that mounts in rad hose. Which have you used and which do you prefer?

most electric pumps haven't lasted very long, save your money, clip the factory one, call it good

why dont the electric water pumps last on diesels? you would think that they would work better than a stock one. The work on gas motors just fine dont they?

Diesels require significantly more coolant pressure, and compression-ignition vibes are hard on the motor windings.

Ashley the inline ones are pretty good I think but the direct replacements have been leaking but some people have good luck out of them.

one that i have used caught on fire!......cliped stocker went back in

What part are you guys clipping on the stockers? Any pics?

i d like to see a pic of exactly what you all are clippin also, if someone doesnt mind posting up a photo.

here is a write-up and some pics from midwestdieselconnection.com

Clipping a Cummins water pump - Midwest Diesel Connection

You have to be a member to view those pics.

I was thinking of going electric next year because even after clipping 2 fins on a stock pump I still blew a HG with bolts @ 150ft/lbs on my puller on the coolant side earlier this year. :bang:kick: I like the idea of being able to cut the truck off when EGT's allow and still run fans & water pump to continue to cool the truck in case of a pull off.

Last edited:
Here are the four pics along with the entire post:

Attached are step by step pictures showing the process of clipping a Cummins water pump. You will notice there are 2 blades I have marked with blue marker for cutting off. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHICH 2 YOU CUT SO LONG AS YOU USE THE SAME PATTERN OF CLIPPING ONE AND SKIPPING ONE. The benefit of clipping your water pump is that the OEM pump runs at full efficiency at 1900 RPM with 5 blades. All of us know that we run higher than that at highways speeds so all the pump is doing is spinning alot of extra coolant and not moving it. By clipping the blade you not only reduce engine drag but you lower coolant pressure which can cause frost plugs to blow out. I have personally done this on every truck Ive owned for the last several years with no ill effect on coolant temps or premature water pump failure.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Hope this helps,
Rick

right on, thats the way i think iam going. thanks for the step by step

I wouldn't cut the impeller up like that. We just trim the edges down. I marked Rick Foxs photo to show where we trim them.

Last edited:
Either of those trim techniques won't work well with a shielded impeller, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

However, it's better to manage the water jacket pressure rather than cripple the pump (max efficiency in the "sweet spot" is a good thing) - that's why we use BOEs to bleed off potentially damaging coolant pressures... besides keeping freeze plugs in place, pump drive HP is still reduced by 35%.

Either of those trim techniques won't work well with a shielded impeller, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

However, it's better to manage the water jacket pressure rather than cripple the pump (max efficiency in the "sweet spot" is a good thing) - that's why we use BOEs to bleed off potentially damaging coolant pressures... besides keeping freeze plugs in place, pump drive HP is still reduced by 35%.

BOEs? :what: