Electrical issue for the gurus

kasey200

I drove home about 250 miles on Sunday through an ice storm and a few issues arose. The first was when i got home and set my parking brake it froze and wouldn't release. I spent about a hour under the truck with a heat gun and was able to free it and it works fine now. The second issue is the one i am asking you guys about....This may or may not be related to the ice... This when i was at work my gf called me and told me my reverse lights were on my Dodge. (I drive a company work truck to work) I came home for lunch and they were still on (they were not on this morning, i leave to work in the dark and would have noticed). i drove the dodge to work in the afternoon and then home afterward and the reverse lights were still on the whole time. I did a little investigating this evening and was able to trace the hot wire all the way up to where it spiders into the main harness under the hood. Also... with the ignition off and the key out... if i put the shifter in reverse the blower motor comes on. When the truck is running the blower functions as it should. I am thoroughly confused :nail::nail::nail: Does any body have a clue where to start???? Thanks to anyone who can help.:bow::bow: Sorry for the lengthy post but i wanted to lay out the entire scenario.

Last edited:
I don't know why the back up lights are on without the key being on, but the reason the blower would come on is because whatever is causing the lights to be on is back feeding power to the wiring harness. I just thought.... Check your trailer plug for corrosion or something like that.

i would say check the body to motor grounds. sounds like something in a ground circuit to me. my buddy had an old chevy that when you hooked the battery up the windshield wipers would come on with random dashlights too. the whole body of the truck was powered too. also you could do a parasitic draw test and if something is drawing current from the battery just pull fuses one by one until the draw stops. and thats the circuit where your problem is.

Does it have daytime running lights?
Does it have the day/night mirrors?

Unless it's a grounding issue, the 2 circuits don't share the same fuse or power source.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 3
Does it have daytime running lights?
Does it have the day/night mirrors?

Unless it's a grounding issue, the 2 circuits don't share the same fuse or power source.

It does not have either daytime running lights or day night mirrors. I started pulling fuses under the hood and when i pull the one labeled trailer the BU lights function normaly as does the blower motor. there has to be something screwy with that circuit. i will have to do more investigating.

btw... where did you find the wiring diagrams???? that could be very helpful if i could find one of those for the circuit labled "trailer"

btw... where did you find the wiring diagrams???? that could be very helpful if i could find one of those for the circuit labled "trailer"

I have Mitchell On-demand at work :)

I can provide you other diagrams if you'd like, just ask

Back