electrical issue

draught

I have a 95 2500 man 5 sp has an intermittent electrical issue the tach will stop working so does the speedometer and it stops charging,but every thing else works. Also if you turn the engine off and restart it they work again for about 5 min. Any ideas?

Check for bare wires on the engine harness for 1, check the wires below the steering wheel. Years ago mine would act similar, founf a loose wire on the plug below the wheel. MAybe someone else has more insight

The gap between the sensor and the crank should be checked. A credit card works good for that.

X2 on the sensor, had a similar prob with the 98, sensor pick up was sitting at a bit of an angle, regaped it and everything worked right, just remember to use a brass or non metallic feeler gauge as it is magnetic and a regular steel one will ruin it ..

The speedo does not take any readings from the ESS so it is doubtful the gap is the problem. The common link between the tach and the speedo is a ground wire.

The sensor would have nothing to do with it not charging either. Sounds like a bare wire to me that is shoring to ground causing the signals to drop out. $.02

The sensor would have nothing to do with it not charging either.

Actually not true. The PCM needs an engine speed input to activate the voltage regulator, so the ESS does play a role in the charging circuit.

Actually not true. The PCM needs an engine speed input to activate the voltage regulator, so the ESS does play a role in the charging circuit.

Duely noted. Thanks for the correction. :D