electrical issues

kleann

VP44 pwr
I bought a 2005 that dropped a valve seat and needed the engine replaced. Finished that part of it the other day, deleted passenger battery to make room for turbo down the road, and installed a new interstate battery on drivers side. Soon as I hooked the battery cables up the lift pump turns on and the headlights turn on(key out of truck and headlight switch off, mind you). As well as the a/c clutch sounds like it engages. Truck spins over, but won't start. Gives a NO BUS code and won't connect to the scanner.

I suck at electrical diagnosis, does anyone have any idea where to start? Bad ECM?

Thanks

I'd start basic, look at the harness for piched spots, such as around the bell housing area.
You could have pinched wiring when the engine was installed.
I'd also look for aftermarket add-ons to the OEM harness that got pulled, pinched or cut.

NO BUS usually means the the ECM isn't communicating with the PCM, whether by a module being fried, or a power wire not making connection somewhere.

Mark.

I'd start basic, look at the harness for piched spots, such as around the bell housing area.
You could have pinched wiring when the engine was installed.
I'd also look for aftermarket add-ons to the OEM harness that got pulled, pinched or cut.

NO BUS usually means the the ECM isn't communicating with the PCM, whether by a module being fried, or a power wire not making connection somewhere.

Mark.

Thank you, I will check those areas out!

There is a small cable that feeds the ecm on the drivers side battery, make sure that got hooked up.

There is a small cable that feeds the ecm on the drivers side battery, make sure that got hooked up.

Pretty sure that I hooked that up, but I will double check it...hopefully be able to get out to the shop Monday. Thanks for the help!

Think I found the issue. When I was going back together with it, I put the wire(the one wrapped in loom) shown here on the positive terminal because I had forgotten where it went. :bang Hopefully nothing major burnt up because of it.

Attachments

• IMG_4361.jpg
    IMG_4361.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Do all year 5.9 cr cam gears have the same number of CPS holes?

Wire fixed most of my issues, but it still wont start. Makes around 600-900 rail pressure and nothing more..even with the fca unplugged. Changed the PRV and RP sensor just since I had working spares and still the same. Are there any quick metering tests I can do to figure out if its a bad cp3 or injectors returning too much? Getting code P0251.

Thanks for any help

Injectors returning too much, relief valve leaking or cp3 is shot. See if it will fire on ether. Once it does read rail psi. if its normal than I would say injectors are shot. If it wont stay running then most likely cp3 or relief valve leaking.

Injectors returning too much, relief valve leaking or cp3 is shot. See if it will fire on ether. Once it does read rail psi. if its normal than I would say injectors are shot. If it wont stay running then most likely cp3 or relief valve leaking.

Relief valve was the first thing I changed, changed it out with a good one and still the same pressure reading. I will try giving it some ether. Thank you for the help.

You might try plugging the block heater in, I've seen them with bad injectors start once everything is warmed up with the block heater.

I have a issue like this as well. I'm putting a 12v in a 03 3rd gen body and when I hook up the wire that feeds the fuse box the head lights come on and the cluster lights come on. I'm stumped.

Check all your grounds, my dads 05 had fits with lights coming on randomly or coming on when you use the turn signal. It turned out to be a bundle of ground wires the my dad had forgot to bolt back down to the driver side fender.

when i had a NO BUS code after the motor install it was the PCM ground wire i forgot to hook up. my headlights stayed on and it ended up frying my dash cluster.

Back