Electrical Problem

rwetzel21

I had an alternator go bad on my 02 F350 7.3L. Went to AutoZone to purchase one and was starting to change it out in their parking lot. One of their employees said he would give me a hand because they were getting ready to close. While I was loosing the V-belt, this AutoZone guy started to take off the Alternator before I unhooked the battery and he must have had his wrench hit another piece of metal when he was taking off the positive nut and sparks flew and the positive wire caught on fire. After I blew it out, I replaced the old alternator with the new one and the following evening I noticed that my dusk to dawn switch didn't turn my headlights on. I then noticed that when I open my back doors the interior light wouldn't come on. When I went to lock the truck with my key fob I noticed that the horn didn't beep when I clicked it twice. It has been very cold the last few days and I noticed that when I start my truck excessive blue smoke rolls out of the exhaust and I'm not use to seeing that when it is cold. I'm wondering if my glow plugs are really working. My question is does anyone have any idea what the sparking of my alternator could have done to my electrical system. All fuses check out to be ok.

Thanks!!

Did you check the maxi fuses under the hood. It sounds like you've either got a power problem, like a blown fuse, or Gem problem. The gem should be mounted to the top side of the inside fuse block. It controls interior lamps, windshield wipers, power windows, locks, and many other features. I'd bet most likely there's a fuse blown somewhere. check the underhood and under dash panels.

Back