Emissions Testing Info

J.Keith

Pro Diesel Tech
Wrote this for a local board but I thought I'd share it here. My knowledge really only applies to Colorado but I'm sure most places in the country are very similar. Hope this can help folks out.

Seeing how there has been a lot of threads with emissions related questions, I thought I'd take a minute and lay out some info for those that may not know what is needed and what to expect when going in for a test.

First off, as an inspector I am not allowed to adjust anything on your vehicle during the course of the test. Bring it in setup the way you think it will pass.

Secondly, please don't think that you'll be able to talk your way out of missing equipment. We see far more bone stock trucks with all the equipment on them than we do modified trucks so we're not going to jeopardize the investment we have made to become a licensed emission facility just to help a brother out. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

So, if you don't know what your pickup was equipped with from the factory there is a VERY easy way to tell. Go to the data tag. Wipe it off and your inspector will be pleasantly surprised!
For the Cummins, there will be a spot on the tag labeled " Catalyst Number". If that field is empty, your truck was not equipped with a cat. If there is a number in it then it did. The 6.7's have a large emissions info tag on the upper radiator support.
Powerstrokes have the data tag on the passenger side valve cover. It will list Emissions Equipment and have a DI (direct injection),TC (Turbocharged),CAC (intercooler), and if equipped, OC (Oxidation Catalyst) and EGR.
Pretty must the same info on the Dmax. Tags are in a couple of places on those with the most common being on the FICM.

I can't speak for all shops, but we are more than happy to do a quick equipment check for you if you're unsure if you have everything required.

Your truck will be strapped to the dyno and run at full throttle for a 30 second lugdown test. Starts at 60mph for 10seconds, then 50mph for 10 and finally 40mph for the final 10 seconds. If you think your tranny is on the way out, or you have EGT problems let your inspector know beforehand and we will try to shut down if we notice that catastrophic failure is imminent. We dont want to clean up the mess anymore than you want to have to repair your truck.

You get 1 free retest. So if you leave your fueling cranked up and it fails you can turn it down and try again but if it fails twice you'll be paying for another test.

Overall, I'd rather see everything pass then fail a bunch of trucks but I don't make the rules, I just get in trouble if I don't follow them.

Jeremy

full throttle for 30 seconds? Didn't know I could love our simple 3 snap rule here in WA so much, with me controlling the throttle..

On medium and heavy duty its 40 seconds! Rated engine speed and then 90%, 80%, 70%.

I've made more than a couple 6.0's puke on the dyno.