Engine compression question????????

I have an 03 that when i installed the new head gasket and studs began to knock bad. It also has white/grey smoke pouring out of the stacks. So i have checked a few basics (oil and coolant) and there are no fluids where they should be. The truck acts like it has a dead cylinder but when I cap off each injector there isn't a change. So I decided to do a compression check. Cylinders #1-5 are around 500-525 psi, but number 6 shot up to 700 psi on the first crank. This engine has nearly 200,000 miles on it and until I blew my head gasket I haven't had a single problem out of it. My question is what could cause that 1 cylinder gain nearly 200 psi of compression?? My brain is tired and i'm sure that i'm just missing something simple but I cant think of it and I NEED my truck back. I miss it. Thanks to all who reply and help.

It is full of fuel. I would say soemthing is wrong with that inj on #6 and is dumping fuel.

I have an 03 that when i installed the new head gasket and studs began to knock bad. It also has white/grey smoke pouring out of the stacks. So i have checked a few basics (oil and coolant) and there are no fluids where they should be. The truck acts like it has a dead cylinder but when I cap off each injector there isn't a change. So I decided to do a compression check. Cylinders #1-5 are around 500-525 psi, but number 6 shot up to 700 psi on the first crank. This engine has nearly 200,000 miles on it and until I blew my head gasket I haven't had a single problem out of it. My question is what could cause that 1 cylinder gain nearly 200 psi of compression?? My brain is tired and i'm sure that i'm just missing something simple but I cant think of it and I NEED my truck back. I miss it. Thanks to all who reply and help.

Well with 200,000 miles I am a concerned that you have 500-525 on 1-5 and 700 on 6 is surely a problem. you should be around 400 on all of them. I would say that you might either have oil getting by the rings or all your injectors are leaking.

I'm gonna blame the injectors also. Did you have them tested while the head was off? Also valve settings could be an issue. ?????

Last edited:
300-400 is what diamler chrystler considers to be in the green(good) anything above that is not desireable. I see a possible short block or a trade-in, in your near future sorry for the luck man.

Well we have narrowed it down to a possible ring problem. Time to pull the pan and piston #6.