Engine rebuilding. Looking for a little performance. Not an all out race engine

mybadford

A friend of mine is rebuilding his duramax in his 02 2wd dually. The truck is a daily driver. Its completely stock with just a superchip programmer. He popped a head gasket and figured he would just pull the whole engine and rebuild it due to the mileage. While he has the engine out, is there any tips or tricks to get a little more power out of it? Is there a good cam to buy to help spool the turbo? Ideal aftermarket turbo? Polish the ports on the heads? Coating the pistons? Mill the heads? Anything? Trying to keep it basic but since hes there what can be done without spending a large amount of money. Whats a good turbo and injector combo that doesn't cause high egt's? Does removing the egr nonsense help or hurt anything? :thankyou2:

really if he's not looking for big power all he needs to do is maybe cut & coat the pistons and key the cam/crank. Rods would be a good idea in an LB7 but if he's not planning on going much bigger than he's at right now a set of low mileage LBZ/LMM rods will do him well.
stock cam is ok, heads will be ok maybe socal springs and retainers, something like a BD supermax is a nicely priced turbo. Having the nozzls opened up to about 30-40% over is a good idea. Is it a cali truck? not many LB7's have EGR.

Im not sure where the truck come from new but it belonged to a construction company first and then it was sold to somebody local. They had it repoed and he owns a towing company and he repoed it and ended up buying from the bank for 1800 dollars. It does have the egr stuff on it. He has already replaced all 8 injectors with just stock replacements. What do you mean by key the cam and crank? Im guessing theres a keyway on the cam just as well as the crank or just on the crank? What do you mean by cut the pistons? Wheres a good place to have the pistons coated?

Last edited:
New England emissions LB7's from 03-04 also had the EGR on them. Removing the EGR will definately help out, replace the passenger up-pipe with a federal unit and block the intake(or just cut and weld up where the EGR cooler hooked up). For a SUPERCHIPS there really isn't a reason to do anything else to it. Mine had 162K on it when I did head gaskets(leaking coolant down the back), and it still had a beautiful cross-hatch in the cylinders and the leopard spots in it. Still holds 35 PSI of oil pressure hot at a 600 idle with 5W40 oil, and will easily bury the needle at 80 in cold temps with the 5W40 oil.

New England emissions LB7's from 03-04 also had the EGR on them. Removing the EGR will definately help out, replace the passenger up-pipe with a federal unit and block the intake(or just cut and weld up where the EGR cooler hooked up). For a SUPERCHIPS there really isn't a reason to do anything else to it. Mine had 162K on it when I did head gaskets(leaking coolant down the back), and it still had a beautiful cross-hatch in the cylinders and the leopard spots in it. Still holds 35 PSI of oil pressure hot at a 600 idle with 5W40 oil, and will easily bury the needle at 80 in cold temps with the 5W40 oil.

This engine is getting close to 300,000 miles. I think it has pretty good oil pressure yet. I've only been behind the wheel a few times. It runs good still. Just uses water now.

Just do the head gasket and put it back on the road. Its barely broke in.

Head studs while the motor's out, and EFILive tuning and twins when it's back in.