engine removal

SiFlyBy

Ricer
I'm wondering what you guys(techs) are doing out there for engine removal on these GM trucks. I'm a Ford guy by background and what we usually did was pull the cab and go from there. Our repair info software does not show a specific procedure. Any info is appreciated in advance.

Thanks,
Chris

You don't have to pull the cab. The whole front end comes off and the engine can come out that way.

Hmm...I was looking the truck over today and it looks as though it would be very easy to pull the cab. I have done several on 6.0L and 6.4L trucks and this LB7 looks even easier. I'm not 100% sure yet. The engine comes in next week so I'll let you all know how it goes.

Well, here is how it went. I would strongly suggest this procedure to anyone who has to do serious work on a D-Max. It was EXTREMELY easy, especially compared to the Fords I have done.

DSC00985.jpg

DSC00984.jpg

DSC00990.jpg

DSC00989.jpg

DSC00992.jpg

Yeah it was stupid easy to pull the cab and stoopid easy to work on after that. None of the GM tech I know or talked to in the area have ever done this. I am trying to change thier minds.

There are some videos on YOU TUBE showing a GM shop doing a cab lift. So there are others doing it. From what I understood in the video...it was GM's recommendation for the mechanics.

After scouting around under the truck one day with serious engine work in mind...I did notice it looked very easy IF you had a lift. Just go SLOW!

I didn't have access to al ift, but it was still pretty easy to do it by pulling the front clip off. Since I pulled mine to do a swap, I pulled the engine and trans together. Went very easy, but VERY heavy to move around the 2 put together.

The grill just snaps in, just sayin. Why use Ford logic on a good truck...