Engine rpm question

HIGHGEAR05

No matter with the SMARTY on or back to stock, when I rev the engine up, the rpms hang up for couple seconds, then come back down slowly spittin and sputtering. The throttle is not smooth when coming down. I have no starting problem, no smoke at idle just a slight miss or vibration at idle. The truck runs great. Any ideas :confused:

the rpm's hanging is pretty normal... it just take a second or two for the rail psi to bleed down.

It shouldn't be spitting and sputtering though. Are you getting any codes ? A slight miss at idle doesn't sound right either.

Without more info, it's hard to tell

Check Valve lash
Check all elec. connections

If in serious doubt, pull the injectors and have them checked..don't wait!! It will eventually get worse and you'll risk a melted piston...

Mine has done the same thing since new. Bought it off the lot in 03. Has 96000 on it now. Overhead has been run every five thousand miles.

No matter with the SMARTY on or back to stock, when I rev the engine up, the rpms hang up for couple seconds, then come back down slowly spittin and sputtering. The throttle is not smooth when coming down. I have no starting problem, no smoke at idle just a slight miss or vibration at idle. The truck runs great. Any ideas :confused:

pull the rail pressure gauge and try again.

like ty said, the hanging rpms is just the engine bleeding off rail presure... kind of a built in safety feature.

--jp

the rpm's hanging is pretty normal... it just take a second or two for the rail psi to bleed down.

It shouldn't be spitting and sputtering though. Are you getting any codes ? A slight miss at idle doesn't sound right either.

Without more info, it's hard to tell
No codes at all triton.