engine serial and reference

cummins2132

ok is there an easier way to find the engine serial number and reference number like by using the vin or something. my reference number located on the valve cover is gone that was on the sticker

I take it you're trying to get something from cummins? Get ahold of snedge on here and he can most likely get you sorted out.

Yep two places.

ESN will be printed on the block passengers side below the exhaust manifold but right on top of the oil cooler housing.

Even easier look at the ECM it will have the ESN there.

no I'm getting a junkyard ecm wiped clean so Chrysler can put my Vin in that one but ecm repair shop want the engine serial number and reference number. I didn't know the ecm had that thanks

If it was dead shorted yes. You would not have quite a few functions.

Why do you think it's dead?

just the gauges don't work truck runs but the cluster doesn't work but dealer told me ecms are run by vin so it needs to be wiped clean. when I sent it in to get wiped ecm shop told me it came dead which doesn't make sense unless dealer sent my dead ecm

So truck runs but no gauges?\

OK stop.
Have you tried to do a Dash CAL?

Start with Key OFF ....Hold Odometer button in and turn key on then release the odometer button and see what happens.

ya truck runs perfectly and dang it no ok ill let dealer know in the morning if they haven't sent the other one to see what it does. just to have a heads up for tomorrow what do I do if it does calibrate and what do I do if it doesnt

Actually your problem sounds like a bad dash.

Last question........ Has the stereo been replaced?

I hope so itll save me some money but does the fact that the junkyard ecm came off a 2500 and mine is a 3500 idk if that matters or not. No the radio is still stock but ik the dash was removed because me and my buddy were gonna replace the radio but didn't get the chance to because all this happened but ik its not connected I think. we were gonna have the ecm flashed thinking it was gonna fix the problem but dealer said they couldn't put my vin because another vin was in it.

another question I have is the fact the junkyard ecm has another vin in it does that affect anything like on why my gauges don't work like are they all vin programmed or what

All CR trucks are VIN locked to the truck. ECM ,BCM all have to work together.

You can NOT simply swap out ECMs and expect it to work.

that's what I was thinking they all are programed by vin. which brings me back to my first question if ecm allows the truck to rub can it still come back dead through a ecm repair shop

Sure if they have the correct ESN and Serial number and VIN.

OK because I'm trying to have the junkyard ecm wiped clean but they said the ecm came back dead when it was allowing power to the truck

I had an injection pump blow a freeze plugs because the original owner didn't tell me he messed with the high pressure line and didn't put the check ball back and got the ecm wet and shorted it

It's a sealed unit.......... and it shorted out?

ya some odd reason fuel got in there because we took the ecm apart and inside where the board is it was covered in fuel