enngine tune and set up questions?

rattlebox93

ok i am gettng ready so start putting my engine back togeather will commonrail tappets with in a 12v i diddnt think so because of the fuel pump but i just figured id ask

2. are the second gen 12v cams any better than the 1st gen ones? and would a scheid street cam be worth my while if i can trade a kid a commonrail cam for a 12v one i can get the commonrail one for 300

3. pump gear timing? i am thinking about of jumping 1 or 2 teeth im steering more twards 1 tooth i know with a lot of timing u want to run the thinnest injector washers and with big injectors u want to run a lot of timing

3. injector pop pressure i know u want it lower than stock but how low do i ant it i am having kevin @ northeast dieselset me up with a set of edm'd 6x16's what should i se the pop pressures @

4. stock head bolts how tight can i torque em? i have heard of people dooing 125 i dont have the money or time for studs rite now more time than anything machine shop is backed up and the pedestals need milled correct?

last what kind of hp should i expect? the lower end has coated pistons i cut the points out of the bowls of the pistons ceramic coated them shot peaned and stress relieved the rods ballanced mabye the scheid cam extencive bowl and port work on the head ( bowl and port work on exhaust side and just bowl work on intake side) ported industrial manifold that dumps like a commonrail one he351cw 6x16 sticks 354 spring afc removed 4 inch commonrail dp 4" under the truck to 5 inch stacks cooler tubes piston lp 1/2" lines to lp and -6 an strait into ip from the lp lots ot timing and a rag behind it with a sb con fe....any thing you guys think need changed before i start assembly or you think it will be a pretty decent settup? i know i will have to keep the pump turned down with those 6x16's but i only want to buy injectors once cause there might be a charger feeding the 351 in the neer future

thanks a ton dj

1st gen cam is very good, more opening duration. put your money elsewere. set pop on those big stix at 250 bar. DONT go lower than stock 245 bar. skip one tooth, use dail indicator to time for best results. if you deck the block and head-new cummins h.g. ,tq to 125 should hold 50 +psi if timing isnt to advanced. hopefully 350 hp on uncorrected dyno.

1st gen cam is very good, more opening duration. put your money elsewere. set pop on those big stix at 250 bar. DONT go lower than stock 245 bar. skip one tooth, use dail indicator to time for best results. if you deck the block and head-new cummins h.g. ,tq to 125 should hold 50 +psi if timing isnt to advanced. hopefully 350 hp on uncorrected dyno.

ok cool i was told to go lower than stock on pop press

as far as hg and timing i liked the way it ran with the timing all the way to the head just a b**ch to work on it so i figured bump 1 tooth and run the pump farther out than it was stock to help with working on the pump

now what kind of dyno? i kow for a fact that if u put the same truck on dunbars dyno it will make 100+ more hp than on scheids dyno watched to 700+ hp commonrails do it and loose more than 100hp on scheidswith the exact same tune

what do you think of the oversized injection lines that garrett sheilds is making anyone tried em?

On a ve truck the oversized lines will hurt the performance and it will do wierd things to the internal advance of the pump.

I would say that setup would be good for around 400+

If your worried about the headgasket you should't have a problem going to 140ft lbs on the bolts, just take them up in 5lb incriments and mark the heads of them so you can tell if any stretch way too far.