EOT/ECT Troubleshooting help

HeavyAssault

Pursuit Interceptor
I recently started using the AeroForce gauge since plugs into the OBD-II port and reads system inputs to display on the screen. I got this to monitor the EOT and ECT temps to help identify when I may need to swap out the oil cooler. I'm running a SCT with custom tunes and an Oil Guard by-pass kit.

My problem is my ECT reads within the operating range (my normal daily driving HWY and City) of 185-192* while the EOT will stay between 118-132* per the AeroForce gauge. I have swapped out the EOT sensor to find the reading stays the same. I have noticed that on cold start the EOT will read 600*+ then drop till it hits the range I posted above. EOT will remain in the 130* range until I hit the HWY then drop to 118* range.

I have used an IR thermometer to read the oil cap surface temps to find them within 2-3 degrees of ECT. My oil pan temps read close to the oil cap as well. I have no CEL or codes popping per my 6.0 manual so I can only figure that the SCT may be causing the split.

I can try swapping the T-stat but feel it's working as it should. I think the AeroForce may need to be reflashed as the book calls for a PCM swap or wiring issue but without a CEL or code it leaves me to ask here for help.

Does it read the same with the SCT out of it? And are you sure that its not reading counts instead of temp?

If the oil is reading 600 something from the datalink then there is something wrong with the PID that it is reading from the processor.

Looking at the processor table, 600 counts is roughly 30 degrees Celsius. 118-132 counts is roughly 90 degress C. 194 degrees F. Its reading how it should. The software is however giving you the wrong interpretation.

To convert a/d counts to volts: Divide the a/d counts by 1024 and multiply by 5.
To convert volts to a/d counts: Divide the volts by 5 and multiply by 1024.

This will give you sensor voltage. Then if you know the slope of the sensor you can figure out the temperature.

The gauge doesn't read in counts it just displays the degrees. By what you have suggested Doug the sensor and gauge are correct but the display interpretation needs to be addressed with AeroForce.

I didn't IR the hoses since I feel the t-stat is working properly. I will try it today just to see the readings.

Back