errrrrrr...any ideas?

Izzy

my truck has not felt right for a while now. this might get confusing. my truck puts out alot of fuel but the truck takes off slow. no matter how i drive it, it is not very responsive. im talking daily driving and wot. the truck does not match the travel of my pedal. i use to do a boost launch at 12lbs. and my truck would just shoot out of the hole, now i can get it to 15lbs. and it will just pour smoke and take a while to really get out of the hole. when daily driving, after every shift truck falls on its face but continues to pour out smoke as it slowly climbs out. also, the pedal is not as solid/sensitive/torque'y as it use to be. i have replaced: apps, vp44, injectors, chip. i have messed with no chip at all, checked for boost leaks. replaced fass filters. fass has 15 psi. swapped ecm's. air filter is good. this problem is even worse when trying to sled pull. no matter how much boost i try to take off with, the truck ends up loosing the boost and just pours out smoke until half way down the track. any ideas or questions appreciated.

How many miles on the injectors?

It might be a good time to have them freshened up.. Check all the pop pressures and what not.

How is the turbo? Can you move the wheel in and out?

Have you adjusted your apps? Check and clean your IAT sensor as well. Cam sensor might need replacing as well.

How many miles on the injectors?

It might be a good time to have them freshened up.. Check all the pop pressures and what not.

How is the turbo? Can you move the wheel in and out?
i have tried 3 different injectors. none of them really showed any change. turbo is good.
Have you adjusted your apps? Check and clean your IAT sensor as well. Cam sensor might need replacing as well.

i put a williams apps in. new iat sensor installed. cam sensor? would it throw a code if it was acting up?

Have you tried driving the truck in cool, humid air rather than hot, dry air?

Seriously.. I'm out of ideas. You've tried just about everything. My truck smokes a lot more when it's hot out, and it is a little more doggy.. But I don't know that it is near the level you are talking about.

Good luck. Maybe someone will have an idea!

I'll go ahead and say it. Check the WG on that turbo.

The 13cm SS housings are great but known for WG issues. Take the cover off and check the alignment of the pucks and the pressure required to open them. A leaking or weak WG would cause those symptoms as well.

I was going to say torque management for an 02 auto until I saw the BD rad in your sig. Are you using it?

Have you tried driving the truck in cool, humid air rather than hot, dry air?

Seriously.. I'm out of ideas. You've tried just about everything. My truck smokes a lot more when it's hot out, and it is a little more doggy.. But I don't know that it is near the level you are talking about.

Good luck. Maybe someone will have an idea!
yeah, this problem has been going on for a while. Hot or cool.
How much boost can you make?
47 that's with the wastegate hose plugged.
I'll go ahead and say it. Check the WG on that turbo.

The 13cm SS housings are great but known for WG issues. Take the cover off and check the alignment of the pucks and the pressure required to open them. A leaking or weak WG would cause those symptoms as well.
Even if I have the hose disconnected from the wg (hose plugged)?
I was going to say torque
management for an 02 auto until I saw the BD rad in your sig. Are you using it?
Yes.

Mach 6 with a 62? Bit heavy on the fuel.

Hows your valve lash?

I don't speak Mach. Especially when he get's all decimal with that chit. What do they flow or ballpark hp rating?

47 that's with the wastegate hose plugged.

Even if I have the hose disconnected from the wg (hose plugged)?

I'd still investigate it. If you've got sumo, mach, fluxer, whatchamaginger bad ass fuel, it may still be leaking and giving you grief. This is a physical problem in the WG assembly not affected by the hose, inside the exhaust housing.

FWIW, you've replaced every other damn thing on the fuel side and a few sensors to boot. My idea costs you a six pack, some hi-temp RTV and a T3 gasket if I'm wrong. Every electronic component that pops into my mind, you've already replaced.

I had similar symptoms when mine went recently. Only difference is I had an S400 booting it in the ass as the RPMs came up.

When it bogs and smokes after the shift, does the boost dip? Can you hit that 47 easy or do you need to be matted and pulling up on the steering wheel?

Also... Check the connections on the RAD.

Last edited:
Amish, I was asking u for me not knowing the answer. I hope u didn't take it as if I was down talking ur advice. This Saturday I am going to remove the Turbo and inspect it. I appreciate all ideas and advice.

Mach 6 with a 62? Bit heavy on the fuel.
no. easy to tune around the fuel with dc. plus it has a 71 wheel.

I don't speak Mach. What do they flow or ballpark hp rating?

220 hp. very mild and clean on low rpms.

This is a physical problem in the WG assembly not affected by the hose, inside the exhaust housing.

okay. i will hopefully get to it this saturday. that is if i dont have to work ot.

When it bogs and smokes after the shift, does the boost dip?
yes.

Can you hit that 47 easy or do you need to be matted and pulling up on the steering wheel?
lol. u described me very well when i want to hit that 47.

Also... Check the connections on the RAD.
will do

I just cut my 13ss's gates out and welded press fit plugs in their place. My gate didn't show any significant evidence of leaking but it was leaking a little. Response from 0-10psi is greatly greatly improved. There's a thread in the 94-98 12v section where a member welded his as well and had even better results (think his gate was leaking worse). The thread is titled something like high egts while towing.

200-220hp

Grassy Ass.

Amish, I was asking u for me not knowing the answer. I hope u didn't take it as if I was down talking ur advice. This Saturday I am going to remove the Turbo and inspect it. I appreciate all ideas and advice.

I wasn't mad, I just give long responses and it makes me sound like a dick sometimes.

If anything, I was frustratingly empathetic to your plight. You've replaced a good many parts to not have this thing running right.

Hey Steve, check the pucks on the wastegate, Dieter is right.

Hot damn! I got a backup from Smokem! (Notes to not revel in this for too long as he will burn my house down again the next time I'm out in left field with advice. )

I just cut my 13ss's gates out and welded press fit plugs in their place. My gate didn't show any significant evidence of leaking but it was leaking a little. Response from 0-10psi is greatly greatly improved. There's a thread in the 94-98 12v section where a member welded his as well and had even better results (think his gate was leaking worse). The thread is titled something like high egts while towing.

That's what I'm running now while ED is fixing my polished housing. Spools like a dream. Wonderfully progressive with the throttle. Previously I'd get to a point that required compressing the carpet under the skinny pedal and gnashed teeth to move further. Now throttle is wonderfully and directly proportional to boost.

From the drastic difference in driveabiltiy I'm certain it was leaking for some time before Glenn made me nuke it good. Nobody calls me chicken, Glenn. Nobody! LOL

Izzy, even if you can't see anything wrong, (my guess is you will) disconnect the arm and move it back and forth paying attention to how the pucks seat on the housing. My guess is you'll find a leak that is killing your low end. Once you get rolling you can hit your 47 because the gate would likely be open there anyway.

If you have another vehicle, and can reach them (forget if you can on a 2nd gen) crack the wastegate cover bolts a little and shoot them with some penetrant. Heat cycled stainless bolts in stainless housings have made me cuss a time or two in the past on removal.

sorry guys for the long delay but i have been busy. i fixed the turbo. sealed the wastegate shut(brother in law did it). voltage, continuity and everything else has been checked recently by my bro in law. he is a diesel mechanic. compression tested. tried swapping ecm and tps assembly off another good running truck, again. nothing. this is flat out insane. he is looking at me with a puzzled face. he has never ran to anything like this before. he does work on alot of 24v's. just thought i would update u guys