Everything I need to know about rebuilding a head

cameronc

Ok this journey started out by just wanting to pull turbo and exhaust manifold off and porting them but when looking at the exhaust ports of the head they look small as hell. So I'm tempeted to pull the head with 285,000 miles on it and go through it. I'm going to try to do most work on my own. Probably going to have the machine shop clean and mag the head but that is all. My dad has a valve grinder at home so I was thinking of having him recut them and the seats but I dont know what angle or angles to cut them at. Also what is the final word on porting the head only the exhaust side what do I need to know about this. last question is do I only have to put 60# springs on exhaust side or do I do all twelve valves. Thanks any info you can give me on this would be great.

id go all twelve on the springs. No sence in having the intake valves float. They wont hit the pistons but still why not. (other than the added stress of having the valves slam into the seats harder.) But that is personal preference on intake. If your having the head off and all i would have the machine shop cut the head flat and o-ring it if you have the funds. If not i would have them resurface it for sure to give the new hg somthing nice to seal up against.

Thank you. Do you know what angle I need to cut the valves at and and have also heard of a backcut what do i need to know about that.