excuse my ignorance but..

ChaseN

Jobless/Truckless
can i remove my plastic valve cover with no problems? a buddy of mine wants to try out his new paint on it and i said sure. is there any gaskets i need to worry about? i see it is just four bolts but can it be run without?

like i said, sorry for my ignorance, if it was a 6.0 i could figure it out easily haha. damn i miss my 6.0 :(

yep, there's actually 6 bolts. It doesn't have a gasket attached to it. You'll see when the cover is off the gasket is a part of the injector wiring harness. Just leave it alone, do what you need to do to the cover and replace. I forget what the torque is for those bolts but, every time I've done it, the bolts pretty much bottom out when to their spec'd torque

i drove around for a long time with no plastic valve cover. yank it and paint it!

973604x4 said:
i drove around for a long time with no plastic valve cover. yank it and paint it!
woa woa woa Phil. LOL The 06's have an actual plastic valve cover unlike yours. On the 05 and older trucks it was just a shroud over the aluminum cover. On his 06 if he drives like that he is gonna have a mess. LOL

lmills said:
woa woa woa Phil. LOL The 06's have an actual plastic valve cover unlike yours. On the 05 and older trucks it was just a shroud over the aluminum cover. On his 06 if he drives like that he is gonna have a mess. LOL

really....thats interesting. We took one off an early 06 the other day and didn't see anything different? maybe i'm crazy?

973604x4 said:
really....thats interesting. We took one off an early 06 the other day and didn't see anything different? maybe i'm crazy?
they are very different on the 06's. In fact on the 06's the valve cover bolts go thru the plastic cover and have grommets on them. Underneath that is a gasket that has the wiring harness built into it for the injectors. It all started when Cummins went from having 3 square electrical connectors for the injector wiring harness, to the 2 flat plugs.

lmills said:
they are very different on the 06's. In fact on the 06's the valve cover bolts go thru the plastic cover and have grommets on them. Underneath that is a gasket that has the wiring harness built into it for the injectors. It all started when Cummins went from having 3 square electrical connectors for the injector wiring harness, to the 2 flat plugs.

damn. Ok i'm pullin the cover on an 06 tommorrow to educate myself.

yeh right....like you need an edumacation. LOL You traitor LOL J/K

lmills said:
yeh right....like you need an edumacation. LOL You traitor LOL J/K

I hope i have somewhat of an edumacation....hell i ain't in A&M just for fun! :hehe:

Edumacation LOL Sorry for the highjack Chase. Anyway, I hope we answered your questions. :D

lmills said:
Edumacation LOL Sorry for the highjack Chase. Anyway, I hope we answered your questions. :D

I'm not sorry. Chase got some amazing deals on parts from me. I should be able to high jack his threads whenever i want LOL

haha, go right ahead haha, hijack my new thread too..

There is something not right about you Phil.LOL I just can't put my finger on it. LOL

Yep, all plastic cover on mine. No metal cover underneath.

Really threw me off the first time I pulled it expecting to see a metal cover underneath. :eek: