Exhaust size 4" or 5"

emw911

I have a 01 24v with a smarty and edge comp stacked, K&N intake and filter otherwise the motor is stock. It currently has a 5" exhaust to a turndown before the axle. I want to replace the exhaust with a nice full exhaust. I may add injectors and a little bigger turbo in the future. My question is would I be better off with a 4" or 5" exhaust. I tow alot so egt is my primary concern

a lot of folks don't like K&N to start.. they seem to let too much dirt into the engine...... 4 or 5 wont make that big a difference unless you think you are going to go for 600 + tot he wheels at some point, even then the jump to 5 isn't needed, its more for preference of sound.

4" is all you really need running a stock turbo. It doesn't produce enough air to require the 5" tube for performance. So...if you're looking for performance and optimal mileage, stick with 4" for atleast 90% of your exhaust sytem. A 5" tailpipe will give you a nice rumble if you're still looking for a deep sound.

Now if you go to twin turbo's, then you will probably require a 5" exhaust sytem, since you are producing more air.

Hope this helps.

I ran an MBRP 5" turbo back system and loved the sound! I know have stacks and its still the 4" downtube into 5" all the way to 6" stacks and i love the sound!

power loss for 20' of equivelant pipe length

Attachments

• Power Loss.GIF
    Power Loss.GIF
    9.7 KB · Views: 0
I've got 4" on mine, not too loud and has a nice sound with the MBRP performance series and muffler

I guess my main question is will a 5" exhaust lower the egts when towing 8 or 9k loads?