Exhaust vibration and rough idle? Ideas

1996 12 valve

Hello, I have an 05 cummins and it has been giving a puff of white smoke on start up every once in awhile, will run a little rough for a second or two and then clear up and is fine. The idle always sounds like it has sort of a tick to me. But recently I have noticed there is a lot of high speed vibration moving the entire exhuast you can see it from the downpipe to the tip, along with the trans dipstick when idleing. I know its a diesel but I believe there is an issue with it and I am not sure where to start any ideas would sure be appreciated. Thanks

Codes? Could be an injector issue. You could try some additive or fill the fuel filter with seafoam to try and clean them. The tick could be valve lash. How many miles, what filtration, lift pump pressure? The more you can tell us, the better.

No codes and the truck really runs pretty well overall and it is not a severe vibration just something you would notice looking at the exhaust. truck has 190000, the previous owner had all but one injector replaced, the only things done to the truck are a smarty, air intake and straight pipe. Auto trans stock filtration

I'd run some additive and see how it does. Check the lash as well. My exhaust always vibrated in my 07. You can also try different settings on the smarty to see if that helps it as well.

Yeah I know it sounds like kind of a silly thing to be worried about but it is a very intense vibration and i have seen multiple other 5.9 cr that are smoth at idle so im trying to get somewhere with it. I run powerservice through it every once in awhile

I guess it all depends on what kind of injectors the PO put in the truck, or if they were even changed. Do you have paperwork? Mine ran like crap with no codes when the injectors were going out. I cleaned all the connections and limped it by for a while. You did change the fuel filter right? Can you verify the CP3 is getting good pressure from the lift pump?

I will check on the lift pump pressure. Yes I have paperwork, they were not bosch and I have already replaced one of them. Yes new fuel filter when purchased.

If they were remans they are junk! One original injector BINGO! THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM!
It's definitely an injector issue the cummins is great for compensating for an issue like that! almost like hiding it! Replace all your injectors and install a 2 micron filter before the CP3 and you'll have many worry free miles! "If you didn't melt a piston" ............... just kidding.......... no seriously can happen!

Back