experienced builders

bigc19

My motors at the machine shop right now getting cleaned up from a seeping hg. I had them do a valve job and deck the head so far. He took 20 off the head, and Im assuming he'll have to take 10 or so off the block as well. My question is in terms of clearance, I can find a 20 over gasket, but where can I make up the other potential 10 or so? Is 10 slight enough that it wont cause contact? Should I get valve reliefs in the pistons, or 10 or 20 taken off the piston? Just looking for some guidance. Thanks

What cam are you running. The valve job itself will probably make up the extra .010" your looking for by putting the valves deeper into the head

I like to go fast

If he takes 20 off the head, doing it by the book he should also sink the valves in to the proper depth. If taking 10 off the block you need to get pistons in and measure protrusion. You may need a .010 over gasket, you may not. A oversize gasket is meant to be used when decking the block.

I'd be more inclined to not sink the valves in, and hopefully use a std gasket, but clearances would need to be checked. The result would be higher compression.

If he takes 20 off the head, doing it by the book he should also sink the valves in to the proper depth. If taking 10 off the block you need to get pistons in and measure protrusion. You may need a .010 over gasket, you may not. A oversize gasket is meant to be used when decking the block.

I'd be more inclined to not sink the valves in, and hopefully use a std gasket, but clearances would need to be checked. The result would be higher compression.

I misread his original post, I thought it said he already had the .020" over HG.
I would follow how 9724VF350 suggested now realizing you haven't already spent money on the .020" over HG

I like to go fast

Ok cool. Ill be stopping by the shop tomorrow so Ill ask him if he did sink the valves, which I would assume he did. After talking to him today, he may need to take at most .005 off the block, should I go for a .010 over gasket for that? or just check clearances when I get it all and hopefully a std will work. Im just trying to get all the gaskets and such here before I get the motor back so Im not waiting of stuff I know I need.

As for cam, stock

I think with a stock cam you will be okay with a standard gasket, always check clearances regardless though. And if you ever upgrade the cam in the future, keep in mind that a "drop in" cam may no longer be a "drop in" cam without piston to valve interference issues.

****AY Racing