Experts needed for a HX35 modification

erling66

Here is the deal: I have a 2.2L 4 cyl and hope for 300+HP. I plan to use a Holset(they are cheap used and high quality) but the HX30 is too small(44mm comp wheel) and the HX35 is too big(56mm comp wheel) The HX35 can flow 60 LB/min and I only need max45 LB/min. That big comp wheel will make the turbo slow to spool and I can get surge issues.
so the plan is to put a restrictor in the comp inlet to reduce the size down to 50mm. The result will be that the comp wheel will draw less air, that will make it spin quicker and it will put the surge line to the left.
Am I right? Has anyone done something similar?

The 44mm wont flow 45lbs a minute?

A couple other alternatives you could look for, because your still going to have the larger ex housing on the hx35, is an hy35. Smaller exhaust housing.

You can pick up those smaller garret turbos up pretty cheap on ebay.

The 56mm hx35 flows 54lb/min, the 60mm Hx40 wheel is what flows 62lb/min. I would look into the 54mm wheel used in the early Hx35 or like stated H1C.

just use a h1c with the 50mm compressor. then put a .63ar turbine housing on it. I think I paid $180 for my housing on ebay. mine is also on a 2.2l 4 banger

I don't think plugging down the inducer bore will help with spool up. Rotational mass is rotational mass. Unless that wheel gets lighter, it's not going to spin any quicker.

Thank you guys for mentioning H1C. I will look into that. But someone told me that the older H1 Holset are not as efficient as the HX series, is that correct?

I don't think plugging down the inducer bore will help with spool up. Rotational mass is rotational mass. Unless that wheel gets lighter, it's not going to spin any quicker.
Several people state that reducing comp inducer will also reduce lag even when the wheel is the same weight. Air has weight too and less of it should reduce speed up time

Thank you guys for mentioning H1C. I will look into that. But someone told me that the older H1 Holset are not as efficient as the HX series, is that correct?

Several people state that reducing comp inducer will also reduce lag even when the wheel is the same weight. Air has weight too and less of it should reduce speed up time

you're right, air does have weight to it. So plugging the inducer down may lower spool time by 4%.

If i were you i would be looking for the proper sized turbo and not plugging an HX35 to make it work