Exterior LEDs

jimbo486

Hey guys. I've been wanting to convert all of my exterior lights to LEDs. Most of the turn signal lights I'll probably end up having to wire resistors to. I don't particularly care to but it seems I may not have a choice. Unless, this flasher from Super Bright LEDs, will work. At least, they claim it will and therefore, no need for resistors. http://www.superbrightleds.com/more.../fl2-red-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/779/833/

I've also been meaning to order a set of 1" round LED lights from Super Bright LEDs to replace the factory clearance lights in my rear fenders. These are a grommet mount and fit into only a 3/4" hole. From what I can tell, the holes for the existing factory lights in the rear fenders are small and square shaped, just for the wires to run through and seem to be smaller than 3/4". I think these would add a nice, modern touch to the truck.

rmpc-x.jpg

After looking at the truck some more, I started wondering about the front fenders side marker lights. I was looking at either of the following assemblies (mostly, the one on the left). Both have about a 4" dimension from center-to-center of the mounting holes and an overall with of about 5". Does anybody happen to know the dimension of the holes in the fender for the factory light?

pbm-hp12_all.jpg
pbm_all.jpg

Then, I looked at my cab lights. Not the housings that originally came on a 1st gen. Some other kind, whose product I don't know. Then, I looked at my dad's 3rd gen. I wondered to myself "Hmmm [whistle]." With a little bit of work to open the holes a little more for the wiring and using the existing forward-most mounting hole, these will work. Then I can order a set of smoked LEDs from Recon. :cool:

Attachments

• 3rd gen lights.jpg
    3rd gen lights.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'd love to see what they look like if you could figure out a way to get some pictures! I had forgotten about Recon's smoked lenses and how cheap the cab lights are. $100 for the set, not bad! Too bad they don't have a smoked lens assembly similar to the front fender side marker to replace.

I don't mean to burst your LED bubble but those 3/4" lights in my experience don't have enough support for the wires coming out of the back of the light and have a tendency to break off about every month or so on a daily driver. And Recon doesn't have the best rep for their lights holding up either.

I don't mean to burst your LED bubble but those 3/4" lights in my experience don't have enough support for the wires coming out of the back of the light and have a tendency to break off about every month or so on a daily driver.

Even if secured and tied up to prevent movement on a daily driver? Is your experience with those exact lights from SuperBrightLEDs.com?

I'm re lighting my recon everything lol
My cab lights sometimes work pound on em they light up. Headlights all leds have either fallen out or don't work.
I bought a ton of leds and resisters from super bright and will be giving new life to them soon

Even if secured and tied up to prevent movement on a daily driver? Is your experience with those exact lights from SuperBrightLEDs.com?

By preventing movement there can't be any wiggle at all in the wires coming out of the back of the light and you might be okay. Other than that forget it you're gonna be constantly replacing them.

I put my lights on last summer and haven't had a issue yet. Drive it every day and they still work great. Maybe I'm lucky.

No need for resistors on the turn signals, IF you use an electronic flasher. Will need one for 4 ways as well.

Maybe that's the reason I get the "bulb out" indication. I do have an electronic flasher but only for the turn signals, not the 4-ways as you mentioned.

I ordered up some lights a couple of weeks ago and got them last Friday.

Got the 1" round lights for the fenders.
rmpc-x.jpg

And ordered these for the front fender markers. I also grabbed the components to build 2-way Weather Pack connectors for easy connections.
pbm-hp12_all.jpg

I pulled the factory lights out of the rear fenders and found that the existing hole is already just big enough to accept the 1" lights and grommet! I temporarily touched wires together with the running lights energized and, for being a 1 LED assembly, they put out a decent amount of light! Once I get them in for good, I'll have some pictures. Looking to get some more Weather Pack connectors for these as well.

I also got some 1156 replacement reverse lights. In my opinion the light output is awesome! Keep in mind, the running lights are off in the picture below!
36FD7309-0F26-4265-A4AB-AE8D3751A2E4-15895-00000C73342AF59D.jpg

Still need to get an electronic flasher for the 4-way (hazard) lights and see if that will correct the "bulb out" indication. Somebody over on DTR mentioned a variable load flasher that he found at VatoZone. He says it's allowing proper function of the LEDs on his truck. I didn't find anything on their website searching those words. I'm hoping the guy can get me a part number or reference number from the flasher, if it has one.

Last edited:
My 93 already has all led side marker lights on finder flares andon bed and tailgate looks awesome and they are 2nd gen lights looks good and fit perfect

My experience with superbrightleds.com is not a great one. I ordered new tailgate marker lights from them and they kept burning out. Each light had 4 or 5 small bulbs in them. One our two bulbs would burn out in different lights. I luckily ordered an extra one and just rotate it out and send the defective ones back for replacement. Real hassle

In my 96 I have all of my interior and dash lights swapped over to led bulbs from superbrightleds. Also have their turn signal bulbs in the front and their led bulbs with smoked recon lenses for cab lights and havent had any problems.

Back