External Oil Cooler

New2Deisel

I know that Elite Diesel and Liberator Perfomance sells these now. Has anyone used them? They have two different aproaches. Elites is a 12"x12" external cooler with an electric fan mounted to it controlled with a thermostat. Liberator's is more basic using a 3'x3' cooler with hoses coming from area of stock oil cooler. Both are mounted behind grille of 2005 6.0. Both elliminate stock cooler. What is everybodies thoughts?

3 foot by 3 foot? My God that's big...

I'd have to see them to make any sort of an informed comment or decision.

Looking at Liberator's kit, I like the multipath cooler they're using. It will provide much less restriction to flow than a multipass single circuit cooler. I think the connection tubing was an example, well I hope it was anyway. If I were to make an external oil cooler for my truck, that is the route I'd take. Added bonus, you pick up a little bit more oil in the system, so that too will help with it's longevity.

Can't comment on Elite's kit... no picture shown.

I would say Elites kit is more involved. I talked to them and they do not have any pics because there are too many copy cats. Not sure if it matters, but Elites has a thermostat so that it bypasses the cooler until truck is at operating temps. I think that would be good in cold climates. Not sure about the Libetrator kit, but Elites somehow eliminates the EGR at the same time. You would only have top buy some extra bypass plates, or in my situation, just leave the cooler and valve in place to look factory but not be used.

So the tiny little cooler that ford puts in there is crap and you want to remove it? It keeps the oil 10 degrees warmer than the coolant. Think about that for a minute.

tired of replacing mine. i have egr deleted and im pretty sure I have a 3k mile oil cooler that has popped again. wtf am i doin wrong?

Its got very little surface area, but it keeps the oil cooled down to only about 10 degrees warmer than the coolant. I'm happy with that. If you want to add an air to air cooler to the loop go for it. But deleting the oil to water cooler just to go oil to air seems foolish.

Its got very little surface area, but it keeps the oil cooled down to only about 10 degrees warmer than the coolant. I'm happy with that. If you want to add an air to air cooler to the loop go for it. But deleting the oil to water cooler just to go oil to air seems foolish.

I do not know too much about these trucks or diesels at all. I just know that when I tow a heavy load up long grades my oil and water temps according to my gauges go past 250*. It hasn't overheated, but I would still like it to be cooler than that. Not sure if just deleting the egr would do it by itself.

What is done to the truck so far?

The basics: 4" cat-back with 3.5" dp, Speaco IC, SCT. I tow with a John Wood tranny only tune that disables EGR. 35" tires with 4:10 gears. It pukes sometimes, but only while towing heavy. Never otherwise, even with Extreme Street from ID. I used to have the plug in the uppipe, but put back to stock for warranty work.

250* degrees is hot. What's the oil temp? Where are you getting your readings from? When it hits 250* does the fan come on?

250* degrees is hot. What's the oil temp? Where are you getting your readings from? When it hits 250* does the fan come on?

I have a water temp gauge with sender tapped where you did on oil cooler. My oil temp sender is off my billet filter cap. The fan does come on fully at 250*. Both temps climb at close to the same rate. I can watch the factory gauge go up when it gets that hot, but it never gets in the red. Once I get over the grade, temps will drop almost instantly.

The oil will always be hotter than the coolant. The idea is that it uses the cooling system to dump heat into, along with transmission heat above 180 and EGR cooler heat. If its puking its boiling over. How many miles are on this truck?

The oil will always be hotter than the coolant. The idea is that it uses the cooling system to dump heat into, along with transmission heat above 180 and EGR cooler heat. If its puking its boiling over. How many miles are on this truck?

38,000 miles

Last time I drained coolant, I had some funky stuff settle out on the bottom...

I hate Ford's idea of their crap failing, (The oil cooler) and contaminating another system, (The coolant system)

I'm running Evan's coolant, and the damn oil cooler must have a leak in it somewhere, cuz the entire coolant system was clean and dry when I put it in...now when I drain it, it looks like poo. (And I have less than 5000 miles on my engine.)

If I can get rid of the Ford crap, and never have to change another oil cooler again, (At $570.00 + tax) I would be happy.

Just too bad people want $1000.00 for the oil cooler delete kits in the States, and $1800.00 for them in Canada.

-Ask me again why I buy from the States...:hehe:

Last time I drained coolant, I had some funky stuff settle out on the bottom...

I hate Ford's idea of their crap failing, (The oil cooler) and contaminating another system, (The coolant system)

I'm running Evan's coolant, and the damn oil cooler must have a leak in it somewhere, cuz the entire coolant system was clean and dry when I put it in...now when I drain it, it looks like poo. (And I have less than 5000 miles on my engine.)

If I can get rid of the Ford crap, and never have to change another oil cooler again, (At $570.00 + tax) I would be happy.

Just too bad people want $1000.00 for the oil cooler delete kits in the States, and $1800.00 for them in Canada.

-Ask me again why I buy from the States...:hehe:

Sometimes I think you just might be a complete dipsh!t. Ok so the Evans coolant has been related to eating at the brass sensors like the ECT. Call Mark1957 or Mark1959. I can't remember what year he was born. The sensor came out BLACK and erroded. Why not drain out what you have in there and put back the gold coolant that the components were designed for. The Ford crap works for a million other people. If you are going to mess with it, don't blame someone else. There is stop leak in the coolant from the factory. When you flushed the system did you pull the thermostat and flush it out? Isuzu puts an oil cooler on the side of the block and you have to remove the injection pump on a 5.2L Inline 4. Are they morons also? Did they design crap? Holy fvck. Remind me why we even Export stuff to you. :bang

Sometimes I think you just might be a complete dipsh!t. Ok so the Evans coolant has been related to eating at the brass sensors like the ECT. Call Mark1957 or Mark1959. I can't remember what year he was born. The sensor came out BLACK and erroded. Why not drain out what you have in there and put back the gold coolant that the components were designed for. The Ford crap works for a million other people. If you are going to mess with it, don't blame someone else. There is stop leak in the coolant from the factory. When you flushed the system did you pull the thermostat and flush it out? Isuzu puts an oil cooler on the side of the block and you have to remove the injection pump on a 5.2L Inline 4. Are they morons also? Did they design crap? Holy fvck. Remind me why we even Export stuff to you. :bang

LOL:kick:

Back