External Wastegate Question

garretthart13

i plan on buying a steedspeed straight t4 with the wastegate option and ive been looking for wastegates but i can only find them with 15 to 30 psi springs?? i probably misunderstand how the wastegate works, i just figured it would have a reference hose to drive pressure and open up to what it is set to, but if im pushing lets say 50 psi of boost how do i make it open at 50 psi of drive pressure:charger:. and does anyone recommend a certain wastegate, the steedspeed has a 44mm vband wastegate port.

Put a boost controller on it and set the pressure at 50psi. I like my Engineered Diesel 50mm WG.

Put a boost controller on it and set the pressure at 50psi. I like my Engineered Diesel 50mm WG.

I also like my ED wg it came with a good assortment of springs to adjust it .

JGS Turbo makes a great gate. I am running 2 of their 50mm gates and they are awesome. Just use your boost and drive pressure as a reference to to where you want the gate to open at with a controler.

most wastegates have an upper port and a lower to the diaphragm.

at straight boost in the bottom port, it will open the diaphragm when it overcomes the spring. (e.g. 15psi) but when you back up the spring with CONTROLLED boost into the top port, then you just add it all up!

x psi of boost in bottom port, = wastegate opening with 15psi spring and limiting to 15 psi

now, x psi in bottom port, plus 15 psi spring and another 20 psi in top, you can control up to 35psi of boost pressure.

ooooo ok i see how they work now, thanks for the explanation, any recommendations on a boost controller

ebay ball and spring (dont use a bleeder type, those change with air density)
add another spring to double em up.