faster than others

so is the lbz the engine to have to out run a psd or is a lmm faster than the lbz?

They are about the same, lbz doesent have the dpf to contend with. I also ran the PPE Hot+2 on my truck,, never once did it put my tranny into limp mode,,, now it would run the rail dry in no time on the highest level,, but up to that point it was hella fun

Probably, but I'm almost positive your ford tranny won't either.I don't think any of the trannies are good for more than 400hp stock

This is very far from the truth. There are MANY 450 to 500hp trucks with stock 5R110s that are holding up just fine after LOTS of hard miles.

Cant say the same about a 48re or an Allison in stock form...

All things considered though, a Duramax is gonna be the fastest hands down. Those damn trucks can get downright nasty on a tune alone.

well i have a buddie that has a 06 duramax with 4-inch exhaust, air intake and edge juice with attitude and his brother has a 05 dodge just with a superchips and blew the duramax away. the duramax on the 5th setting the tc started slipping...

When I had a 100% stock trans (LBZ), I was running 12.71 @ 105.3mph with tuning and a lift pump. Clutches were on their way out when the trans got the face lift, but never limped once. My buddy has an LMM with a trans go, tune, lift pump, and ran 13.009 his first time at the track in stock trim. BTW- The Edge on a Duramax, is about the lowest form of tune you can install.

I also have never once had my tranny go into a limp mode. Personally, Im not trying to downplay that the tqflite is a good tranny,, just saying that they are no better than the allison.. very good to a certain level, and at that level they start to get shaky.... and to be honest,, neither are really good racing trannies anyways... to slow and cumbersome for real racing purposes.....

I also have never once had my tranny go into a limp mode. Personally, Im not trying to downplay that the tqflite is a good tranny,, just saying that they are no better than the allison.. very good to a certain level, and at that level they start to get shaky.... and to be honest,, neither are really good racing trannies anyways... to slow and cumbersome for real racing purposes.....

The Ford Torqueshift transmission is the king of stockers hands down. What other transmissions are there from the factory than can handle an additional 150RWHP for over 70K miles?

I've seen numerous Allisons fail at a shade over 400, even with EFI tuning. The only Torqueshift that I have seen fail was at over 600rwhp, and even then it was only the converter which sh!t the bed, not the trans itself.

Im not trying to give them a bad rap,, but I will tell you that just as many of them go down at +150 hp as Allisons. Hell Im not even a chevy guy, but yet I can speak from experience. I see alot of trucks here, they are a good tranny, but if you are going to abuse them, racing or whatever, they will fail.

Think about it this way, if they were that good, everybody would be using them for thier race trucks instead of spending 6 to 10k for a built tranny.

I agree with people drag racing with these trannies but when you get off the highway and actually start using them they die easy. I'm a pipeline welder and my truck sees more off road driving then highway driving and when you get into deep muskeg or any other varing mud holes they are really hard on parts. 4lo and full throttle kills things. Any of you guys have to get pulled up a hill by a d9 Cat just to do your job? The oil patch is were all trucks should be tested!!!!!!!

I know that Matt from Spartan has been abusing the **** out of is 5R with over 500hp and can't get the thing to slip or die. This was the last I heard so things may have changed....

Well there is a local guy here in town says he'll blow my doors away, and he has a 01 or 02 duramax 2500 4x4 with intake exhaust and efi tuner, do i stand a chance with the truck in my signature? A dodge dually 2wd with intake gutted exhaust, superchips, boost fooler, edge ez, and stock 48re and he thinks he'll take me. what do yall think?

You should be ok with the dodge,, and with the chevy, depends if he knows anything about efi live. The LB7 was definately the weakest of the duramax litter, but if you tuned right could be a real beast

I agree with people drag racing with these trannies but when you get off the highway and actually start using them they die easy. I'm a pipeline welder and my truck sees more off road driving then highway driving and when you get into deep muskeg or any other varing mud holes they are really hard on parts. 4lo and full throttle kills things. Any of you guys have to get pulled up a hill by a d9 Cat just to do your job? The oil patch is were all trucks should be tested!!!!!!!

that's where the 6.4 was tested... in oil fields in alaska...

Im not trying to give them a bad rap,, but I will tell you that just as many of them go down at +150 hp as Allisons. Hell Im not even a chevy guy, but yet I can speak from experience. I see alot of trucks here, they are a good tranny, but if you are going to abuse them, racing or whatever, they will fail.

Think about it this way, if they were that good, everybody would be using them for thier race trucks instead of spending 6 to 10k for a built tranny.

or because the electronics to get a different trans to work would end up being more of a hassle then its worth... everything you've said so far about the torqueshift so far has just been utterly wrong

I know that Matt from Spartan has been abusing the **** out of is 5R with over 500hp and can't get the thing to slip or die. This was the last I heard so things may have changed....

that same truck ran i believe 12.6 on the 275hp tune and nitrous... and now its getting a BUILT engine, i think it still will have the stock trans, since there has been NO reason to even think about changing it

I wish I had your glasses,, I guess that I should just junk my 10k 48re in my 10 second race truck, I obviously have been doing it all wrong. Even though I know of several trucks that, with a torqueflite have had to redo their trannys, I know that Barry at NADP has built a few of these trannys.

As for testing these trucks in the oilfields of Alaska, I am pretty sure that Ford (or more truthfully navistar) never put a test program together to run in alaska, or northern alberta for that matter.

This whole thread has taken on a air of nonsense, and I wont bother adding anything else after this..

Im not bad mouthing the tranny, just trying to be a little realistic as to what its capabilities are or are not.

I wish I had your glasses,, I guess that I should just junk my 10k 48re in my 10 second race truck, I obviously have been doing it all wrong. Even though I know of several trucks that, with a torqueflite have had to redo their trannys, I know that Barry at NADP has built a few of these trannys.

As for testing these trucks in the oilfields of Alaska, I am pretty sure that Ford (or more truthfully navistar) never put a test program together to run in alaska, or northern alberta for that matter.

This whole thread has taken on a air of nonsense, and I wont bother adding anything else after this..

Im not bad mouthing the tranny, just trying to be a little realistic as to what its capabilities are or are not.

did i ever say that it would NEVER fail? no.... but you're saying that it'll fail at 400hp LOL
and its a torqueshift not a torqueflite... PLEASE get it right if you're gonna argue about ford transmission knowledge...
the torqueshift is simply the BEST out-of-the-factory transmission in a pickup truck, they can handle 700+, and are unheard of to break at below 550hp... if you're really gonna argue that they break at the same level as an allison then PLEASE find me an allison in a truck that weighs 8500 lbs and runs mid 12s without going into limp mode... and then do that for tens of thousands of miles, then you can say that all factory transmissions are pretty much equal... just cause you have a 10 second truck doesn't mean that you're a transmission genius :hehe: and your posts regarding the torqueSHIFT have proven that

and by the way... yes ford did test the new f450 with the 6.4 in the oil fields in alaska.... i'm pretty sure anyone who was curious about the 6.4 before it came out was aware of this

huck25 im a logger and my 96 ford 250 and been put through hell, no joke i've had a skidder on the front and the back lift the back up out of the mud so where the axle didn't get left behind. and my trans knock on wood has never given any trouble but its a zf5 old trannies were just bulit to last though. 233,000 and still a rolling. Changing first injector tmr cylinder number 3

Back