FICM question

morkable

Just Over Broke
So I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some upgrades for my 6.0, but I have some questions.

Who makes the best FICM upgrade? What advantage would I have going to a 58V over the stock voltage? Is the tuning that they offer for these FICM's worth the money. I dont plan on doing alot with this truck, but I wouldnt mind a little more down low power, as this trucks main purpose is towing. And if it is worth it, whos tuning should a person use?

So far the truck has a S&B intake, and a MBRP exhaust, SCT tuner with Matts tunes.
Thanks in advance

I like Bulletproof Diesel. 58V will help you on start up, but you wont notice much power since you are tuned. This goes the same with a tuned FICM. If there is nothing wrong with yours I wouldnt do anything with it. IMO. I had a mild tuned FICM and I hated it. Started horrible and had no power till warm. Switched to a BPD stock FICM and never looked back. It looks a lot better too. :D

IMG_2375_zps409ad46e.jpg

I am having cold start issues so i think I should probably replace the FICM,, but I dont want to spend money foolishly either

so all these claims of increased fuel mileage wont probably affect me because I am tuned?

I am having cold start issues so i think I should probably replace the FICM,, but I dont want to spend money foolishly either

Have you tested the ficm. batts and alt?

so all these claims of increased fuel mileage wont probably affect me because I am tuned?

they were Negligible in my case, but I run a race tune every day.

Batteries are brand new, alternator puts out perfect. I run on the street tune, not tow, but not the hot tune either.. runs very good, just a little tough to start on a cold morning.

Batteries are brand new, alternator puts out perfect. I run on the street tune, not tow, but not the hot tune either.. runs very good, just a little tough to start on a cold morning.

You might have one or two glowplugs burntout.

That is definately possible, I really havent had the time to fool with it, so busy with everything else

test the ficm. Glowplugs unlikely. Scan for codes with the SCT

no codes, I did check that, where do you check voltage on the ficm, right at the plug?

Kev, you have to remove the little cover on the top if the ficm. And put a meter on the terminals. Check static voltage and cranking voltage. If cranking volts drop more than a volt or two. It's a fail. I can't remember the exact spec though.

Pull the surge tank out of the way, 2 bolts don't remove any lines. Reach behind you'll see the small rectangular cover on the ficm. You should have 3 terminals, IIRC. Search on here which terminals to meter. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

I just replaced mine that failed about 2 months ago. With one from Ed at ficmrepair.com he doesn't recommend the 58v ficm. I took a standard volt ficm with a Atlas40 tune in it. With the h&s on mine and that, the truck hauls ass. Serious ass. I can melt off all 4 37s on the rear with no problem.

I just replaced mine that failed about 2 months ago. With one from Ed at ficmrepair.com he doesn't recommend the 58v ficm. I took a standard volt ficm with a Atlas40 tune in it. With the h&s on mine and that, the truck hauls ass. Serious ass. I can melt off all 4 37s on the rear with no problem.

We've been selling and installing 58v FICMs since they came out and never seen one with poor or undesirable performance. My guess is that Ed doesn't know how to properly mod a FICM for 58 volt or he's simply full of shlt. LOL

I highly doubt either is the case, but I can only tell you what my truck does.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360336371603.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360336371603.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So Luke, did that ficm tune make a big difference? Had you ran the same tuner on the stock ficm

Back